I am having my friend USB, which contains the error while Formatting, copying, deleting, renaming, moving files from it.
The error is "The Disk is Write Protected", I don't Know why this all happens?
I try to repair it with the google help and find some common solution and tried too But I failed (i.e. that's don't work for me)

My Work (My trials)

Regarding the hotfix, I think you can install it directly. The hotfix will replace/update some USB related system files which would be helpful for USB related issues.

Actually, I have had this type of issue before and format is a quick fix to me (please remember to formant it under Windows 7). Since you do not have other free space, you can consider copy those data to another PC (of your friends or the PC in your office)

Meanwhile, what would happen when you try to save file to this USB HDD? If you receive error message stating "The disk is write-protected.  Remove the write-protection or use another disk”, please remove write protection from your USB flash drive using the below method:
====================
1. Open start menu, in the search bar type REGEDIT and press enter. This will open the registry editor.
2. Navigate to the following path:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies

Note: If the registry key StorageDevicePolicies does not exist, you will need to create it manually.

3. Highlight StorageDevicePolicies, and then create a New DWORD (32-bit) Value named as WriteProtect.
4. Double click the key WriteProtect in the right window and set the value to 0 in the Value Data Box and press OK button
5. Restart your computer and try copying files into your USB drives.

If the issue persists, you may have to run the following command as a fix:
====================
1. Start > search bar -> CMD and press enter
2. type< diskpart
3. type< list disk
4. type< select disk # (# is the number of the USB HDD you’ve pluged in)
5. type< attributes disk clear readonly

Do you still have the same issue after reboot?

Please post your update info if you have make any progress

So I need some more Help regarding this.
Preview the Below GIF Image
4ee482c8b622a31a4761c053ba30ec42

Preview PNG Image:
ba0c151fc0c69d9e9ae0774eb865da59

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

Some USB drives have a physical switch on them to enable a read-only lock. Make sure that your USB stick is not one of those, and if it is, then make sure the read-only lock is in the "off" position.

Other than that, are you having trouble following the steps that you quoted? Or did they fail? It's not clear to me.

No, I mean on this USB there is no switch, I also take a look on that too.
and those steps were failed.
I try using CMD too and that too failed.
Take a look on the image:
0ab9e1e6d0ff42d9bdd4aa6fe6fe1238

try this in command prompt:

format <drive letter>:
ex:
format H:

and then follow the instructions.

Not Working for me:
8df123f879cb2b881b2c43cffc35791f

Also try Disk part and Attributes clear readonly
b366671eadefcfe1ad4ff21a36aab7fc

using DISKPART

select the disk and then type the command

attributes disk clear readonly

You can view the above comment: I already try it. (2nd Image)
Or view this:
7214e2c42be9dbc028f2fdd45fc16399

sorry
i didn't see that .

but you can with regedit
this is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE ----> SYSTEM ----> control ---->StorageDevicePolicies

now set write access by setting there 0.

if you don't find StorageDevicePoloices and then you can manually create it.

once you update the regedit information you have to restart your computer and then try to format the disk with the as usual method(i mean right click and select format , quick format)

hmmm,
but this is method seems to work but not working with me...
as I try that for first time to solve and I also added it in the article in form of code

On my machine there is no storagedevicepolicies so I create it manually and added Dword 32 and also it value as "0" still fails

With my practical head firmly screwed on:

Given the value of your time and the amount of it already expended, and given the fact that 2Gb thumb drives are so cheap that they are almost in christmas cracker gift territory these days, wouldn't the sensible thing be to just buy a new one and move on?

yeah you are correct.
but the thing is this was happen to my friends usb, and the similar thing is already happen with his 2 USB. (One is 8GB and 2nd one is of 2 GB) on which I am experimenting...

I don't care for his usb, but I need to find solution as it help him to move with the small PDF Files.
He is just using this usb as only for moving the PDF, (and he is telling that usb is of his father)

thank you for your advice, But i have to find some solution regarding this

I just thrown it away....
:(

had the same issue, seems to be an hardware issue cause by a program error. that is why the solution is importat to me, i can't keep burning thru thumbdrives.

can you describe more about the device, brand model or specific errors ?

it could be FW problem as well

I would hope he has fixed it by now... Check the datestamps.

You have to just reformat your USB/Flash Drive and everything goes fine after all.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.