I have like 200 psd files on my desktop that are about 100 megs and everytime I turn on my computer it just sits there trying to generate the preview for them but it can't and that rainbow wheel just spins and spins. I can run applications that are in my dock but very slowly.

I can't do anything associated with the finder. I can't open new finder windows or anything except open system preference (it is in my dock). I can log in as another user but I can't acces what is on the desktop for the user with screwed up files because it is the administrator account.

Is there something like a safemode in Windows I could use?
I have used terminal to delete files that can't be dragged to the trash before, is there some way I could do this from the other user. Any help would be appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I can log in as another user but I can't acces what is on the desktop for the user with screwed up files because it is the administrator account.

What a mess. You said that you could still acess the System Preferences. Well, I would go into the "Accounts" settings, and then you can use that to create another Administrator account which will then be able to access your Desktop folder. And while you're in the Accounts settings, why don't you just take a peek at "Login Items" under your account, and make sure there's nothing there which is bloating it (probably nothing, but just a good thing to check).

Couldn't you use the sudo command in the terminal from another user account to be able to see what is in your administrator account? From there the standard deleting or moving the files to the trash or a new folder on the desktop would be possible. You wouldn't need to create a new administrator account this way.

Joeprogrammer's suggestion of checking your Login Items is a good one. Unless you put all 200 psd files on the desktop at one time without any restarts/boot ups inbetween how are you sure that the psd files are actually causing the problem.

Another possible solution would be to boot up from a backup, external hard disk, Install DVD, etc. None of these should display all of the junk associated with your current account's desktop so no spinning beachball. You could then just go in, select the problem files on the user's account, and move/delete them at will.

Couldn't you use the sudo command in the terminal from another user account to be able to see what is in your administrator account? From there the standard deleting or moving the files to the trash or a new folder on the desktop would be possible. You wouldn't need to create a new administrator account this way.

Joeprogrammer's suggestion of checking your Login Items is a good one. Unless you put all 200 psd files on the desktop at one time without any restarts/boot ups inbetween how are you sure that the psd files are actually causing the problem.

Another possible solution would be to boot up from a backup, external hard disk, Install DVD, etc. None of these should display all of the junk associated with your current account's desktop so no spinning beachball. You could then just go in, select the problem files on the user's account, and move/delete them at will.

I was able to change who the admin user was and then I just deleted the files from the other user. Then when I was done I just swithched the authorization back. Was pretty easy actually. Thanks for all the help though.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.