I did a Virex scan by McAfee and this is what it found. Anyone, please review and please tell me what I should do, and if I should be worried. I'm new to the mac platform, so please go easy on me.

Virex Report
12/6/06 7:41 PM
Engine version: 5.1.00
DAT version: 4907

Scanning folder "/Applications/GarageBand.app"
Warning: StuffIt archives will not be cleaned or deleted, infections in "/Applications/GarageBand.app/Contents/Resources/Comp_GB_welcome.tiff" will be noted but not acted upon.
Scan of "/Applications/GarageBand.app" completed.
Total files: 1724

12/6/06 7:42 PM
Total files: 1724

I'm just wondering why it will be noted and not acted upon? I used GarageBand once when I first got this computer, and that was this passed August. Also, whats with the StuffIt archives?

Should I be worried? Anybody that can shed some light on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance...

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hey. I'm just wondering. Did I post this question in the wrong forum? Alot of views, and no response yet. Please let me know, Thank you.

Hmm, I'm not too familiar with Macs (But I just ordered one today :)), but did it give you an option to delete them?

One side of me is telling you to not worry about it, mainly because Macs aren't supposed to have viruses.

At the same time, the other side of me is telling you to delete the 'infected' file.

My guess is that McAfee is using heuristic scanning methods, which basically means that it scans for possible dangerous code techniques, rather then comparing the file itself to known viruses.

What does this mean? It's probably a false positive (FP), but I can't promise that.

Thanks.

EDIT:

http://www.mcafee.com/us/enterprise/products/anti_virus/file_servers_desktops/virex.html

Proven anti-virus technology
VirusScan for Mac for Macintosh stops every type of virus and malicious code threat, even compressed files; using advanced heuristics and generic detection,

My guess is that it's a FP.

Hi. I'm new to the forum too. Anywho, I think you're quite right about a false positive. My background is in graphics, where EVERYONE is on the Mac platform and in 16 years I've never had a virus, worm or Trojan horse or known anyone who has. One reason is Apple's proprietary technology, but the main one is that those evil geniuses can do so much more widespread damage by writing these bugs for PCs. Though it's possible, the odds are quite high against a virus. :cool:

Also, though I'm not familiar with McAfee, the report doesn't seem to be saying that it has found anything, just what actions it will or won't take if it does. You might be able alter that in the application's preferences.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.