I have a G4 10.3.9 It came loaded with Explorer 5.0 although I'm now at 5.2. (also have Netscape 7.0 and Safari availabe as well)

I need to upgrade Explorer to 6.0 to be able to access an online class per their tech guy.

I'm not finding any version of 6.0 that makes any reference to Mac's. Can I upgrade?

If I can upgrade without causing conflicts, I'll just have to limit my learning to office hours and the company PC.
Thanks for any help you can provide.:-|

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

The is no IE 6 for Mac. 5.2 was the last one they made and they stopped supporting that a while ago. Use a user-agent spoofer to make your browser look like IE6. That should work just fine.

I don't think Microsoft's ever going to release another version of IE for Mac, especially since the presence of Safari and Firefox on OS X.

Anyway, you can do what stymiee said and spoof your user-agent, or you can actually run IE on Mac; there's a couple of ways:

• Install Windows on Mac using either Parallels (emulator) or Boot Camp (dual-boot) and run the latest version of IE on that
  • Use CrossOver Office Mac to install IE 6.0 for Windows which allows it to run at native speeds without installing Windows. (My favorite)

Hope this helps

I don't think Microsoft's ever going to release another version of IE for Mac, especially since the presence of Safari and Firefox on OS X.

Anyway, you can do what stymiee said and spoof your user-agent, or you can actually run IE on Mac; there's a couple of ways:

• Install Windows on Mac using either Parallels (emulator) or Boot Camp (dual-boot) and run the latest version of IE on that
  • Use CrossOver Office Mac to install IE 6.0 for Windows which allows it to run at native speeds without installing Windows. (My favorite)

Hope this helps

Thanks, I was afraid of that.
I hate to admit it, but half of what your suggesting is beyond my understanding. I'd better stick to the office PC.:o

Let me try to explain. "User agent" basically means the web browser you're using. What you should first try is downloading Firefox, and then installing this plugin. This will allow you to fool the website into thinking you're using IE, so you can get access to the pages.

most mac web browsers are safari unless you have leopard and have got windoze partitioned on your mac harddrive

Firefox is now considered the best browser out there bar none. It is free. They are constantly updating it. Give it a try. I have Firefox, Omniweb, and Safari. Omniweb is not free but an excellent browser.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.