Hey, I have taken over from the previous IT Administrator and now trying to implement OSX 10.3 on to G4 machines. I am having a issue of when some of the staff are munipulating files in OS X then saving, to be opened in OS9 and go to read the files they have turned into what looks like PC files. Has anyone had this problem, If so what was the solution? Cheers

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hello,

It would be helpful to know if there is a server involved, and what program is being used to manipulate the files. I have not had any problems going back and forth with Mac OS X and Mac OS 9 reading files and such. I have a G3 Powerbook that I can only SCSI scan in OS 9, so have had to boot to 9 to scan, and then go into X to work with the documents. No corruptions.

Let us know a bit more of your environment so we can help out.

Christian

Hey, I have taken over from the previous IT Administrator and now trying to implement OSX 10.3 on to G4 machines. I am having a issue of when some of the staff are munipulating files in OS X then saving, to be opened in OS9 and go to read the files they have turned into what looks like PC files. Has anyone had this problem, If so what was the solution? Cheers

Hi there
I have had this problem in my studio when we have been sent files by another agency. It turns out that the agency's are using OS X with Quark 6 and Adobe CS which when viewed on an OS 9 machine in my studio appear as pc icons. They cannot then be opened by the OS9 machines.
The only way round this was for us to make sure that people sending us stuff send them to us in a format that we could read so we have to ask people so save thing 'down' for us.

The company that I work for is too tight to upgrade our machines to OS X so we'll have to work this way for god knows how long.

Lisa

Hey, The problems I have found out after alot of late nights and many hr's scouring the net is that if users connect via appletalk you can see icons of the documents but if you connect via IP address you will find that they need extensions for the documents to been seen. My company had the same issue till about 6 months ago when we bit the bullet and bought quark 6, Illustrator and Photoshop. Rolling out and trying to get everything working on machines that I had never changed since i started was a nightmare!! Beware when and if you ever upgrade buy site licences and take 1 machine down and build a image on it before you decied to upgrade!!! taking quark 6 was a good investment and installing the upgrade to 6.5 was great because it ironed out the bugs that it had.

Hi there
I have had this problem in my studio when we have been sent files by another agency. It turns out that the agency's are using OS X with Quark 6 and Adobe CS which when viewed on an OS 9 machine in my studio appear as pc icons. They cannot then be opened by the OS9 machines.
The only way round this was for us to make sure that people sending us stuff send them to us in a format that we could read so we have to ask people so save thing 'down' for us.

The company that I work for is too tight to upgrade our machines to OS X so we'll have to work this way for god knows how long.

Lisa

:)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.