I am planning on ripping a DVD to mov, so does anyone know where i can get a free dvd ripper that converts DVD to Mov like the mac dvd ripper? I used handbrake, it cannot create a mov file.

if you help, thanks

Recommended Answers

All 23 Replies

1) its illegal
2) most free rippers are spyware

>does anyone know where i can get a free dvd ripper that converts DVD to Mov
You can use a variety of tools; the best ones I've found are MacTheRipper and HandBrake. HandBrake is er, handy (sorry I can't help it) because it also handles conversion of video into other formats, so you can use this as a one-step process. MacTheRipper is a higher-quality ripper, however it only rips to raw DVD files, so you must manually convert them with another tool if you want them in QuickTime format.

>I used handbrake, it cannot create a mov file.
Sure it can. It's just that "mov" is a format that can hold multiple compression codecs. For example, "MP4" could be a MOV file, and in many cases all you have to do is change the file extension.

Another possibility is that the DVD you were trying to rip had copy-protection, and it failed. You can use MacTheRipper to handle the ripping, and then send it back to HandBrake or FFMpegX to do the conversion.

>its illegal
Only if you are ripping DVDs you don't own. The creaters of the rippers are actually doing something illegal by cracking the DVD copy protection used on commercial DVDs, but it's perfectly fine and legit to use such software for moving a stack of DVDs that you own onto your hard drive.

>most free rippers are spyware
That tends to be the case on the PC platform, but is not nearly the same percentage on the Mac. Reason is, the spyware authors can target far larger audiences by going for the leading operating system.

After you rip the movie with Mac the Ripper do you then need another software to copy to blank DVD? What is that software and is there any shareware available to download?

Nancy

>After you rip the movie with Mac the Ripper do you then need another
>software to copy to blank DVD?
Yes. Actually, if playing the DVD on your Mac is your only goal, you can simply burn the video_ts folder onto the disc. From DVD Player's File menu, you can choose to manually open a video_ts folder, in which case you select the folder that you burned. But this isn't a real video DVD, and certainly won't play on any normal DVD player.

>What is that software and is there any shareware available to download?
The only one I'm aware of that can do such a thing is Roxio's Toast. I'm sure some open source program exists out there somewhere, so if you're a real cheapskate, search around. Google is your friend.

[edit] I forgot to mention something. If I remember correctly, HandBrake has an option to rip content from a video_ts folder. What you might want to consider doing is making HandBrake rip the video_ts folder that MacTheRipper created into some format like DV. You can then burn the DV file using iDVD.

ok, guy ,this seems quite easy.
Although ripping DVD is illegal, but in most cases you do this for personal use not for commercial deal. So you can have a try DVD Ripper for Mac.
I used to rip DVD as i want to share with my friends not for others, i will not sell to others.
Here you may have a try http://www.mp4converter.net/dvd-ripper-mac.html .
Hoping this can do help to you.

>Although ripping DVD is illegal
Not necessarily. In most countries it is perfectly legal to rip DVDs that you own onto your computer. While it's true that breaking the proprietary copy-protection on DVDs is illegal, this only means that the people who create such ripping software are in illegal territory, not the users.

its only illegal to break the encryption in countries that have an analogue to the US DMCA

Ok Guys, I have been looking into the threads but can not find any proper solution for my problem. I am wanting to write my home videos on DVD but It wont do it. I have a dvd writer on PC, the file i wanted to put onto dvd was 900 mb on PC. Just cos the size of the file i had to use a dvd. Now i used Nero Express to write on a DVD. but Nero says that the file is too large as it shows the file to be more than 5gb which it definitely isnt as it is 900 mb video file but it is 2.5 hrs long video. Is nero estimating the size of the video by the length..thats the only thing i could possibly think of as i have only a 1gb sd card to go in my camcorder. What I can do to get this video on to my DVD-r. Really annoying as I am using the back up feature to put em onto dvd but not sure whether it ll play those files on my dvd player in the living room...

Any help would be appreciated guys.

Regards
Raj

Just a bit more clarification on the above scenario for you guys to understand the whole thing...

When using the back up option it dos show the file to be 900mb for some strange reason but if i was to write it on a normal dvd as a video file it shows up larger than 5gb? why is this? I juss hope anyone of u guys help me out here as i m outta guesses. If thats the case can anyone of you sugest me some good dvd writing softwares which might be available for free.

Hope that this information will make it a bit more clear.

Raj

because when it rips it its compressed

I know but this isnt really ripping at all as all i m trying to do is write a 900mb video file onto a DVD-R and Nero shows it as more than 5gb. I just could nt understand why it ll show the data as 5gb in the first place.

Raj

because the session is closed

e.g a cdr will always show up as 750mb or something even if ts got a 1mb file on it

not really cos when i have no file the DVD-r shows as normal 4.7gb of empty scale but after i get the file to be written onto it the data shows up crossing the 5gb line straight away which is really anooying and confusing.

Raj

odd

exactly my thoughts mate.

Now i used Nero Express to write on a DVD. but Nero says that the file is too large as it shows the file to be more than 5gb which it definitely isnt as it is 900 mb video file but it is 2.5 hrs long video. Is nero estimating the size of the video by the length..

The reason you're experiencing this problem is because you're burning your DVD as a video disk. DVD video disks use a different compression format (I think it's MPEG-2) which takes up much more space than your original 900 mb video file. It's sort of like trying to burn music to a disk -- a few hundred MP3 files may only take up four- or five-hundred megabytes on the hard drive (easily within the limits of a normal CD-R), but if you try to burn it as a music disk, you'll only manage to fit about 10-20 of those songs onto that CD.

So, your only real option is to burn it as a data disk... this way, it's merely copying the file onto the disk, not burning an actual video DVD. It won't be playable in most normal DVD players, however.

Yes i wanted to make a data DVD but the problem I can not see that option for creating a data DVD as it does work on my DVD player fine.
The whole idea was to get the file written onto the DVD but dang it is becoming hell of a lot more harder. What do you reckon guys how do I get the Data Disk option on Nero Express? It might be some really simple step I must be missing out on but at this time I m totally blocked up so I do need ur help.

Regards
Raj

Yes i wanted to make a data DVD but the problem I can not see that option for creating a data DVD as it does work on my DVD player fine.
The whole idea was to get the file written onto the DVD but dang it is becoming hell of a lot more harder. What do you reckon guys how do I get the Data Disk option on Nero Express? It might be some really simple step I must be missing out on but at this time I m totally blocked up so I do need ur help.

Sorry, I don't use Nero Express, so I can't really help you there. On Mac OS X it'd be easy; drag and drop and hit "burn disc". :-)

Although i had given up on this as you can see the time since I last visited this thread but i ll give it a go.

Thanks man

Raj

Hello, Raj--
Maybe try posting your question in a Windows forum? I could've sworn that .mov is the Windows equivalent to TS_Video when you're ripping video, which is where the confusion is probably coming from...I've had to do this once on my sister's PC (she sucks--mac rules) and I think I used ShrinkWrap...

OK, my last post was a little off--that was a long time ago! But try this one: http://www.dvdflick.net/
(FYI, mac friends, this isn't for us: it's a windows answer to a windows question)

Thanks Cindycated, i did post in the windows thread after i realised the mistake.

Raj

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.