At my office, my computer has MS OS 8.6 - I need to upgrade my OS to at least 9.2.2 for software that I need to load. I tried to load MS OS X and before it installed completely a message came up....I will not be able to run classic MAC OS 9 Applications. Need to upgrade to MAC OS 9.1 to use classic applications.

Can someone please tell me what I will not be able to do if I do not upgrade to MAC OS 9.1. I am a Windows user and I am ignorant to MAC!

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Mac OS X comes with Classic which lets you run OS9 applications. However, I'm pretty sure that the latest version of OS X, 10.3, doesn't include Classic. If you don't install the Classic environment, you won't be able to run any OS9 applications - only the newer OS X applications. What software is it that you're not sure if you'd be able to run?

Well, you just answered my question. Looking at the disk the version is 10.0.3. I am attempting to load Quickbooks Pro 6.0 for mac. I am guessing that I need to upgrade to OS 9. Thank you for your help!

Glad I could be of assistance. If Quickbooks Pro 6 says that it will work natively on OS X, there is no reason to install the classic environment. Otherwise, throw it in ;)

Hello,

If you do go to OS X, your best bet is to get to OS X 10.2 (Jag) or 10.3 (Panther). The orig OS X (you said you had 10.0) and 10.1 had serious printing issues (SLOW!) and other little things up with it (my Powerbook had non-optimized video resulting in a very slow computer. Quicktime movies were horrible!).

Also, if your computer came with 8.x, there is a good chance it is an older computer, meaning it might not have ample memory and hard drive. For X to run nice, you need at least 256 MB of Ram. It will run with less, but you will pay for that in performance that your older computer (am guessing PPC 604 or 603 series) cannot really afford.

Christian

If you're upgrading your OS, take a look around Apple's FTP site. They have upgrades until about 9.something you can download for free. System 7.5.3 and below are also there.

Upgrading from <= 8.6 to 9 costs $. You will have to purchase an OS 9 installer. There are no free upgrade from <= 8.6 to 9. Upgrading from 9.0 to 9.2.2 is free, but there are hoops that you must jump through to get there.

9.0 -> 9.1 -> 9.2.1 -> 9.2.2

This is where your Mac OS 9 saga will end forever. Otherwise, the advice to get Jaguar or Panther over 10.0.3 is good. 10.0.3 is quite out of date and had some rather serious UI issues. Plus, quite a bit of the software you will find today will not run on 10.0.3.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.