Hello dear MAC users !

I'm developing few web sites and I have specific problems when I'm trying to see if it works with different platform, especially with MAC. It seems that when I'm making a link to big file (in those case, vrml and file maker pro) more than 2 MB it doesn't work. With a PC it opens a small box asking if we want to download the file (for the fp7 file format) or open the the file correctly for the vrml file. But with the MAC I have tried, it opens an other browser window with thousand of code lines...

For example, I don't know if anyone would like to try it, here's my website address :

http://callisto.si.usherb.ca/~01192480/paestum/

Sorry it is in french, so here's what to do !! Click on "Visiter la dernière version VRML du temple d'Athéna", you then need for sure the Cortona plug-in to continue, and "continuer la visite" when the plug-in is correctly install. You should then see a magnificient (!) greek temple. But it happens that with a MAC (well the four I have tried !) I had a new browser window with all the lines of the VRML code instead of the 3d temple... It's really weird because when I do the same with a smaller version (500 Ko instead of 7 Mb) it ...works !!! What's the problem !! Is there any limit that a MAC can support for downloading a file ?!!?

And I have the same problem with the "file maker pro" file on an other site I'm making. Clicking on the link to download the file and I have a new browser window with code instead of downloading the file...bizzz :rolleyes: !

Plaese help ! Thanks a lot !

Mathieu

Contributors
Replies
Views
13 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by kc0arf

What you'll probably want to do is make a copy of the file available as a BinHex (*.hqx) format for Mac users. They can then download the file, then decompress it using Stuffit Expander, and then view the file.

That's one of the old nuances to a Mac, I don't know if it applies to OS X systems. The files are stored in two "forks"-- a resource fork and a data fork. To a non-Mac system, this looks often like two files. For any files you want to send to a Mac, you might want to BinHex it using Stuffit, just so all of the file's attributes are preserved.

Hello,

Apple is moving away from the forked file system to be more inline with the Unix cousins (Darwin). Yes, make the file a binhex one, as that is the standard (a la zip for the Windoze people). Binhex is pure text: it will survive email, ftp, and web transfer just fine.

You can find binhexing utilities out there; my favorite was Compact Pro, a shareware utility that for whatever reason just faded away a bit. It would make tighter files faster than Stuffit in that day and age.

Christian

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.