I just recently found my clam shell mac and I forgot my password, I was wondering how could I be able to install OSX on it if it was possible or at least getting my password back.

Contributors
Replies
Views
13 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by kc0arf

Hello,

What is a Clam Shell Mac? Are we looking at a laptop? iBook?

If you could tell us the model number or name, that would be great.

Christian

Hello,

You have an older iBook. I will have to check from home to see if that iBook can support OS X or not. 64 MB is really lean on RAM, but the 366 MHz processor is enough to run the OS. My Powerbook G3 333 MHz @ 398 MB RAM does work with OS X.

You mentioned a password. What kind of password are you looking at? Do you have a OS 9 control password like FoolProof, or perhaps a file-level encryption / access password, such as what DiskGuard used to do? Or perhaps you have a passworded set of stuffit archives that you are tryiing to get to. I am trying to see if your password is OS related, or an application.

Mac OS 9 did not have usernames / passwords. It did have a keychain thing that I never really understood.

I am guessing that you have some sort of OS password on the file system that you need to break. What program did you use? It is not Mac Traditional.

Christian

It is a login password. For me to know what I used for that I don't remember.

To be honest I really don't remember what I used. It would be a shame to put to rest for it's not going to be usable for I can not log in and do nothing.

Hello,

You mention a login password. Did you used to use the Mac at school or something that would have had an AppleShare server? Does your computer offer a dialoge box with a little share symbol in the upper left corner, and asking you for a username and password?

It should have a cancel button. Try tapping the cancel and see if that does it for you.

Christian

I did not use it at school and cancel does not work. The screen just shakes and does nothing.:sad:

Hello.

The screen shakes? You are running OS X on that laptop then. I was under the impression all along that you had OS 9 on the computer, and were going from there.

OS X will require a username / password combination. I am not certain how to get around it... I will have to do some tests from home.

Christian

Hello,

I have an idea. Can you take a digital picture of the login box, and email to me by chance? There are ways to attach pictures to posts or to an email. I would like to help, but really need to see this to know where to go next.

Thanks.

Christian

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.