Problem on G4 dual, I changed startup in preferences to os9, but now havea flashing question mark on the screen and the computer will not start. I have tried rebooting while holding down, alt/command/c/d/x but none of these have helped. anyone help please thanks sdc

Contributors
Replies
Views
13 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by hexstar

Try Cmd Option P R. That should Zap the PRAM on your system, and set it back to defaults.

The problem is that for some reason, the system isn't finding your OS 9 system folder.

Try Cmd Option P R. That should Zap the PRAM on your system, and set it back to defaults.

The problem is that for some reason, the system isn't finding your OS 9 system folder.

thanks but which is the cmd option key please

"cmd" or "command" is mac-user speak for "Apple". (The command key is where the PC ALT key is. Option is right next to it, farther away from the space bar.)

Hello,

Yup. The key either has a Apple on it, or a very fancy # but loopy, like calligraphy. Or, like mine, the symbols worn off due to excessive thumb use.

Christian

thanks a lot, i have tried that but still have flashing ?. what do i do now dc

Hmm.

Your mac is not finding a startup disk. Do you have a bootable CD-ROM or floppy that you can use? You may need to boot into that OS, and then "bless" your OS 9 system folder by opening it and closing it a few times.

Under OS 9, folders look like folders. (gee, that made a lot of sense) If your System folder appears like a normal folder, then it is not "blessed". Blessed System folders have a little Mac symbol inside them, making them special. A volume will not boot properly if the folder is not told it is special.

Sometimes, I would fix this by dragging the FINDER program out of the System folder, and then dragging it back in. That would cause the blessing.

Christian

Problem on G4 dual, I changed startup in preferences to os9, but now havea flashing question mark on the screen and the computer will not start. I have tried rebooting while holding down, alt/command/c/d/x but none of these have helped. anyone help please thanks sdc

this is a known problem is you've installed both MacOS X and 9 on the same partition, to avoid this problem in the future reinstall MacOS 9 on a seperate partition once you've booted back to MacOS X

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.