Recently my Photo Booth on my Mac has not been working for me. Everytime I try to open the application it comes up with - ''Photo Booth cannot open because the camera is in use by another application. Close the application using the camera and then try opening Photo Booth again.''

I've tried everything, by closing all programmes open and then opening Photo Booth, restarting the computer, but nothing seems to be working. I'm not sure whether there's a problem with the application or the built in camera. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Is the green light next to the camera turned on before you try to use Photo Booth? If it's on, that would seem to indicate that there is some program running in the background that is actually accessing the camera. You might want to double-check the processes currently running by opening up Activity Monitor (located in Applications/Utilities) and make sure there aren't any unwanted programs running (and if there are, then quit them using the 'Quit Process' button).

No the green light is not on before using Photo Booth. Does that mean there is something wrong with my built in camera?

Go to System Preferences->Accounts. Select your username, and check to make sure there isn't anything listed under Login Items. If there is, remove it, reboot, and try again. Also, does the same problem occur on all users on your system, or only on yours? If you are the only user of your computer, then create another account from within the Accounts System Preferences and then try again.

Tried all that but it still doesn't seem to work, and the green light doesn't come up either. I really hope there isn't a problem with the camera. I recently moved my Photo Booth folder to my external hard drive to free up some space. Could that be the issue? Thanks for the help.

Hmm. Open System Profiler (Applications/Utilities). If the camera is detected, it should be listed under Hardware->USB. If not, then it's most likely a hardware issue.

Yep it's got 'built in iSight' listed! Is there anything then that I can do to get it to work. Thanks again.

the same thing has happned to mine if any body knows what to do please help!

This happened to me the first day I got my new computer. We called tech support and they told me to do this and it worked.

turn your computer off
take out the battery
wait a few seconds
put the battery back in
turn on your computer
open photobooth.
it should be working after that.
i have to do it at least once a month.
it's wack, i know.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.