Can anyone help-pretty simple question I think (but too hard for me to answer.) I purchased OSX 10.3.2 which is installed on my power-book.I am about to buy my wife an i-book. Can I install this operating system from the same CD's onto her computer? I also have a G4 desktop at work which is currently on 9.2.I want to upgrade to 10.3.2
a) Can I use my original copy of OSX again.
b) What is the best way to set the G4 to be dual boot so I can pop back to 9 when I need to?

Thanks for any help

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

You can you one OS X on both computers, but it's illegal. As for dual boot I think you can set it up in the System Preferences.

Hello,

Apple offers a really nicely priced "family license" that allows 5 computers to share the operating system software. You might wish to consider that in your options. And dual booting is setup either in the Startup Disk control panel, or if you are more techy and added something like YellowDogLinux, you can actually have an Open-firmware based boot menu when the machine first turns on.

Nearly every normal user stays with the Startup Disk control panel.

Christian

You can you one OS X on both computers, but it's illegal. As for dual boot I think you can set it up in the System Preferences.

as he said you can use the same install cds for multiple macs although it's illegal without the proper purchase of a proper license, for multibooting it is recommended you install MacOS 9 on another partition on your HD since although you can install both on the same partition and usually boot from either, it has been found to cause problems

Thank-you all very much for your help. Much appreciated.
x

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.