I have moved over from a PC and was wondering if there was a program that was like MS Publisher that could at read my old publisher files?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

I have the same question. I have many old Publisher files that I need, but since I got my new Mac (OS X 10.4.11) I can no longer use my virtual computer program that let me access all my old MS Publisher files. HELP!

Currently there is no program that exists on the Mac platform capable of doing this. The only way you could possibly accomplish this is to install Windows on your Mac (either via Boot Camp if you're running a newer Mac, or using virtualization technology), and then run Publisher from there and export it to PDF (I think there's also an Adobe converter which will convert Publisher files to PageMaker, but again, Windows-only).

Thanks, John, I'll check that out and see what I can find that will work. We did have a virtual Windows on our older Mac, but that didn't work with the newer Mac.
Blessings,
Marcia

Thanks, John, I'll check that out and see what I can find that will work. We did have a virtual Windows on our older Mac, but that didn't work with the newer Mac.
Blessings,
Marcia

Most likely that's because of the change of architecture in the newer Macs. Traditionally, Macs have used the PowerPC processor (made by IBM and Motorolla). About two years ago, Apple started putting Intel processors into their Macs, and as a result, there are some compatibility issues with older software.

Two of the best commercial virtualization technologies out there for Intel Macs include Parallels Workstation and VMWare Fusion. They both work very well, and I'd highly recommend them. Alternatively, you can also use a freeware emulator, such as Q.

There is no way that I know of to keep the object structure in your publisher files, the pdf will lock in everything to a static pdf file. You will have to recreate the structure (text boxes image objects etc...) in another program. What I use at home is iworks Pages program. It has both a word processor capability, but was originally designed as a page layout program like publisher and keeps those roots.

Jason

Is there an Application for the Mac with OS X that is as easy as MS Publisher to create or make changes to a Web Page.

I made my first Web page with Publisher and it was very easy to use.

Would like to do all of my Web work on my Mac and not go back and forth.

Thank you

I have moved over from a PC and was wondering if there was a program that was like MS Publisher that could at read my old publisher files?

I do not think they have a MS Publisher for Mac. However I do have MS Office for Mac and I have Illustrator CS3 for Mac and there is virtually nothing I can't do. I can get to Clip Art through Word and Google. I can download to IPhoto and do it all. Publisher would have been the less expensive way to go but tried to order it through a software company and couldn't.

Susan

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.