osx, working for 3 weeks on a quark 6.0 document. ran the quark 6.1 upgrade and the file is now GONE!!!! no one from quark can tell me what happened or where the file is. can someone please help with any suggestions?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Where was the document before? You saved it somewhere on your hard drive. What was it's name? Did you search for it using the Find function?

Hello,

Quark is a Nightmare. There is a lot of anger and frustration in the industry about the lack of Quark customer care.

Best bet is to do the searching for your quark documents, and consult your backups.

Christian

osx, working for 3 weeks on a quark 6.0 document. ran the quark 6.1 upgrade and the file is now GONE!!!! no one from quark can tell me what happened or where the file is. can someone please help with any suggestions?

i don't know if anybody has offered suggestions to you or not, but if you have sherlock (and i'm sure you are familiar with sherlock) try entering some of the key words to find instead of document title or modification date.

i've just upgraded from 9 to 10 system as well as from quark 4 to quark 6.1.
fun, isn't it. :)

sometimes, i have found lost documents by entering keywords, and just picked through until i found it. good luck.

I, too had the same problem with quark when I was trying to switch over to osx at work (still working in 9 though), saving a file and not being able to find it. I knew it had to be somewhere and I found it thru Sherlock (it was there). I am working in osx at home, and am finding it easier and easier as I go. It's just different from os 9, but it does have it's advantages. As far as quark goes, yeah, it is frustrating getting help, and the serial numbers, what a bunch of crap. I'm just trying to find a layout program that all my vendors can use without me having to use quark at all. I did do a newsletter (full color and spot) in freehand from powerpoint (what a nightmare, and I'll never do that again). And don't suggest Pagemaker cause I can't stand that program, reminds me of Ready, Set.......Go!

Hello,

I am using a program called RagTime. It is free for non-commercial use, and is Mac, Windoze, and OS 9 capable. You might want to search it out and see if it will do what you want it to.

RagTime does have some INTERNAL charting and graphing capabilities, along with simple spreadsheets. It reminds me of a ClarisWorks inside of Quark application.

One of the more frustrating conversions to Ragtime though is that it doesn't have the Quark and Indesign traditional "make a text box, make a graphics box" separation tool. The Ragtime way is to select the shape of the box, and when creating it, you determine if it is going to be a text box, or a placeholder for a picture. I need to remind myself of that now and then.

Hope that helps,

Christian

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.