Hi,

I have a G4 eMAC 1Ghz OS X v10.2.8.

I would like to know how does one burn a .dmg file? I would like to burn the contents of the .dmg and not the .dmg itself so that it works properly like auto starting the program when the CD is inserted. I've tried dragging the .dmg into the black CD but that just creates a CD with .dmg init. Also, mounting it first and then dragging all of the content doesn't seem like the proper way to do it. Thanks in advance.

Tony

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

Hello,

I like Apple's utility, and also Toast. Toast also works well with my PC-Labeled, but mac loving DVD burner.

Christian

Hey guys,

Thanks for the tips. However, those steps in apple's suport site
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93006
"Note: When burning a disc from a disk image, the burned disc will have the same format as the disk image."
are for buring a disk image and making a copy of it in the same format.
I would like to properly burn just the contents of the .dmg file as I have stated above. I repeat, I would like to turn a .dmg file which contains a program into an operatable program, meaning it starts/auto runs when I iinsert the CD. Thanks again

Tony

Check out the the utilities mentioned above. You will have luck with any of them. Something to note is that you will need to upgrade to OS 10.3 Panther in order to take advantage of the updated disk utility application.

Launch Disk Utility, then select 'Burn...' from the 'Image' menu.
Navigate to your dmg and off you go.
When Apples support site says it will have the same format as the original file, they mean the same CD format - ie. ISO, HFS+ or whatever NOT dmg.

Hope this helped :)

commented: Clear and concise. +7

hi
i have a .dmg (legal) file on my PC that my friend needs on her G4 Ibook, how can i convert this into an auto read CD so that she does have to mess around with techy stuff

There's no techy stuff. Give her the .dmg. She double clicks it, it opens and mounts on her Desktop. Not sure about Auto Open, I think Apple abandoned that years ago for security reasons. There's some info about converting a DMG to an ISO, but most of what I found appears to be done on the Mac.

So disk utility is the way to go?

Yes.

I don't have a dual disk burner on my computer. How can i burn an .iso file that is 7GB?

DMGS are the Mac version of image files. and indeed, it appears that the dmg file I need to burn more than 3 discs gigs Launch Utility.Insert your blank DVD or CD.Drag and drop your. dmg or. ISO file on the left pane in Disk Utility. However, the blank discs and. Iso /. Dmg should be listed.Select ISO. Or. Dmg file that you want to burn to disk, then click the Burn button. A dialogue box confirming the destination.

have a dmg files I would like to burn on my pc and have it bootable for my mac what should I do

Hope this help you . . .

1- Launch Disk Utility (Applications > Utilities).
2- Insert your blank DVD or CD.
3- Drag and drop your .dmg or .iso file to the left pane in Disk Utility. Now both the blank disk and the .iso/.dmg should be listed.
4- Select the .iso/.dmg file you want to burn to disc, and click on the Burn button. A dialog box confirming the destination (your blank CD/DVD) will appear, as shown:
5- Sit back and wait while your new disc gets written!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.