Hi y'all. I'm using a Powerbook G4 running OS 10.3.4. Could someone kindly explain - very, very slowly - how I can use a DVD+RW to back up files? And how do I make the IDvd tutorial go away?
jan g

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Hello Jan,

I cannot explain very slowly, because I cannot control how fast you can read. Perhaps print the response out upside-down to slow you down. :) I know what you are getting at...

Backing up software requires a few thoughts...

1) How much / what do you wish to backup?
2) How important is your materials that you are backing up?
3) What can you do to protect your backups?
4) Manual or Managed backup

How Much / What?
==============
Some people believe that making a complete copy of everything is the best route. While it can simplify restores, this method will require the most media (disks) and is the most expensive in terms of time.

I suggest that you backup onto the media the things you cannot replace... your DATA files. You already have OS X, MS Office, perhaps Adobe Photoshop already on a CD-ROM somewhere. You need not make continual backups of these files. DO some housekeeping on your hard drive, and try to place all of your data files in one location. This does not mean all inside one folder...keep them sorted and separate and properly organized. But you might wish to consider a folder called My Data, and inside that folder place all the other folders.

How Important
--------------
If you are backing up for business / finance reasons, then you should make backups that respect those business needs. Businesses make daily backups... do you need to do that? There are other businesses that make hourly backups... perhaps the airlines make backups every 15 minutes. What are your needs? I personally make a weekly backup for my home needs.

Also, how often are you going to TEST these backups? Testing means that you will restore the backed up materials somewhere else on your hard drive, and make sure they restore properly. DO not wait to test your process on the day you need it to work.

What can be done to protect them?
----------------------------------
Well, you want to have multiple pieces of media for the backup process. At least 3 disks. 1 will be for the set you are making now, the next will be for the set from last week, and the third will be a spare to be used in a pinch, or an overflow disk. Do not use the same disk from week to week. Why? because if you erase your backup to make a new backup, and the machine croaks at that moment, you loose it all. I also suggest a third piece of media that is stored away from the home... give it to your parents or someone physically removed from your location, so that if a disaster hits, you have something off-site. Perhaps you have 4 disks. week 1, 2, 3, 4. Have the week you are using with you, and the next week, and have the two you do not need somewhere else, and swap disks as needed. This is called rotation.

Manual or Managed
-------------------
You can make a manual backup by just copying the folder structure to a burnable device. You can also make a managed backup by using sofware, such as retrospect, to handle the processing of the backups, and keeping them organized.

I use Retrospect to manage my Mac backup needs. It works well, it keeps track of older files, and I can run reports from it.

What I wrote above is a high-level backup thinking exercise... it is not a design for what your needs are. Please think a few minutes, and respond back with what your needs are, and we can work on a design together.

Christian

thanks for that. thing is, i'm quite clear about what i want to back up and why, and putting stuff on a cd-rom works fine; i just can't figure out - technically - how to us a rewritable DVD like this. i keep getting stuck in the iDVD tutorial. jan

Hi,

So, when you place the DVD into the computer, what happens? Does it fire up the iDVD tutorial? Does the finder ask you what you want to do with the disk?

Please describe what you do to trigger the tutorial. Since I cannot remote ontrol your machine, I kinda need you to spell it out.

Christian

Well, basically, I stick the dvd in the slot, which triggers iDVD, and I have no idea what to do next. Should I just quit iDVD and do stuff with utilities?

Well, basically, I stick the dvd in the slot, which triggers iDVD, and I have no idea what to do next. Should I just quit iDVD and do stuff with utilities?

System Preferences -> CDs & DVDs -> Change the "When you insert a blank DVD" select bar to "Ask what to do".

Hi y'all. I'm using a Powerbook G4 running OS 10.3.4. Could someone kindly explain - very, very slowly - how I can use a DVD+RW to back up files? And how do I make the IDvd tutorial go away?
jan g

Don't forget that Apple drives are ONLY DVD-R. You can ONLY use discs that are labled DVD-R. These can be purchased from any Apple Retail store.

Is DVD-R different from DVD+RW? (that's what I've got). And with a DVD rewritable, do you tell it to burn, or just drag the files on?

jan

Hello,

DVD-R is a "burn once" technology, whereas DVD+RW is "re-write" technology. The RW disks cost a bit more, but you can re-use them over again. I am sure there is a limit somewhere on how many times you can reliably re-write a RW disk... perhaps 10, perhaps 100. I have not tried it, and am not ready to try and break my drive doing it.

You will find that RW's cost more short - term, but if you can re-use them, that is great and will pay off in the long run.

Christian

Uhm..

People seem to be missing this..

Yes, there is an inherent difference between + and - media.

You need to make sure your SuperDrive and OS supports the burning of + media. You might find that you have to purchase DVD-RWs to replace your DVD+RWs.

In order to find out if your OS/hardware supports + media, (and you're running Panther) you should open Terminal and type:

drutil info

If you follow this LINK, you can see 2 examples of output, the former being a SuperDrive that doesn't support + media, and the latter being a SuperDrive that does.

ah!
thanks for that.
jan

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.