I have an Emac and older Imac 9.2 which has 6gig available on its hard drive.
How do I go about using this older Imac as back-up storage for the Emac if at all possible so that I increased memory on the Emac.
Please keep it simple ... I am not too tech minded !
Tony

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I have an Emac and older Imac 9.2 which has 6gig available on its hard drive.
How do I go about using this older Imac as back-up storage for the Emac if at all possible so that I increased memory on the Emac.
Please keep it simple ... I am not too tech minded !
Tony

Hello Tony,
I just checked to see if your iMac has firewire ports. It does.
Some things I've read say this is difficult with early iMacs, but I don't see why after further research.

This article will guide you through the process. One thing I read (elsewhere) is that you may want to leave the target machine (iMac) on 24/7.
I did this with a dying eMac to transfer files to my Mac Mini. It was difficult for me, as the eMac didn't want to stay on and the screen would go black (part of it's dying process).

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1661

You just need a spare firewire cable.
Hope this helps and good luck.

eMac 700 MHz 1GB RAM 10.3.8
eMac 1GHz 1GB RAM 10.3.9 still dying.
Mac Mini 1.83GHz 2MB RAM 10.5.5

Thanks for your tips ....quite a while ago I found that my Emac didnt like to be switched off and if I was away for an extended period of time when I switched it on the result was an angry red screen and it needed multiple tries till it revived .. so now it is just put to sleep and is totally reliable ( touch wood ! )
Will have to tread very carefully with the firewire bit ... the Imac is about 10 metres+ away .
Once again thanks
Tony

You're quite welcome.

Just get a 50 foot cable and you should be set.

Post how it worked for you, if you would?
Then you can mark it solved.

You're quite welcome.

Just get a 50 foot cable and you should be set.

Post how it worked for you, if you would?
Then you can mark it solved.

Again ... thanks !
Went down to the workshop and hauled the Imac out of its hidey hole and found that it is an earlier than you think Bondi Blue with no Firewire ports ... hows that for old ?
So no more experimenting.
Will probably end up getting a stand-alone storage device....recommendations welcome.
Tony

commented: Taught me that my research on early iMacs was lacking. +5

Again ... thanks !
Went down to the workshop and hauled the Imac out of its hidey hole and found that it is an earlier than you think Bondi Blue with no Firewire ports ... hows that for old ?
So no more experimenting.
Will probably end up getting a stand-alone storage device....recommendations welcome.
Tony

That's pretty old.

I have two older Acomdata external drives. First one is 80GB and last one is 320. Never had a problem with either, but I don't have them on unless I'm using them. Lot's of opinions out there on what's better than another. When I get a new one, since they're so inexpensive compared to when I got mine, I'll go with the ones that have the best warranty. 500GB to 1TB are pretty inexpensive now. Just get one with more than you think you'll need or get two that will handle more than what's on your machine plus.

Good luck on your research.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.