I am new to macs and need some basic advice.

I have just been given a G4 with OS 9.2 that repeatedly fails to boot. I was not given any OS discs.

I would like to install OS X panther.

If I buy a copy of OS X, can I just perform a fresh install, wiping out all the current OS or do I have to upgrade?

I fear the current OS is corrupted and would rather start afresh.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Hello,

You can go to the local Apple place, and get a copy of OS X 10.3 and install it from the CD-ROM drive. There is an option there to format the disk fresh and clean. You can also go into the Disk tools and before you install, partition the disk. the re-partition will force a format.

Enjoy your new Macintosh! :)

Christian

Christian

Thanks, I will order OS X 10.3 today.

Sametch

Update.

I just bought OS X 10.3 but I am having problems installing it!

The G4 doesn't boot automatically from the OS X installation disk. When I hold down the C key and try booting all i get is a grey screen with a grey apple logo. any ideas?

Hello,

In OS X, the Grey Apple has taken the place of the Happy Mac. Do you see a small little circle below the apple moving around while the computer is loading? I am wondering if you are giving up on the install disks.

Give it another shot. If not, you might have a bad CD-ROM.

Christian

Hello,

In OS X, the Grey Apple has taken the place of the Happy Mac. Do you see a small little circle below the apple moving around while the computer is loading? I am wondering if you are giving up on the install disks.

Give it another shot. If not, you might have a bad CD-ROM.

Christian

Christian

Now sorted ended up being bad RAM.

Sametch

Hello,

I am sorry to hear about the RAM, but more importantly, you were able to track tht down and get to the root of the problem. I wish there were ways that you could force a mac to scan the memory for errors before booting.

Christian

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.