I’m new to OS X and learnig fast. One thing I haven’t figured out is how to define a default app. Example if I click on a URL in an email safari pops up. I want Opera to open instead.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

This is either a simple question or nobody knows the answer. :-|

Hello,

Interestingly enough, web browsing settings on OS X are controlled in Safari. I think you need to go into the menus of Safari, and tell it not to open, and have Opera open up instead. I would walk you through it, but at the moment, my Mac is not available to me.

Christian

That was it. It is odd that the internet controls would only be accessible from within Apple's web browser. Thanks for your help.

Hello,

You are welcome. In this particular instance, it reminds me of a Microsloth solution. I would rather see a control panel on the subject, as it is clearly a CONTROL issue. Hmm. Maybe I will write Apple on it.

Christian

Have you tried, in Opera, to select settings and then change it to become the default browser? If this is wrong, don't get mad... I don't even have a Mac -- Never did, and probably never will -- Wayy to expensive, although I do have $900 to spare with Christmas coming up, and relatives probably willing to part with $200...

Have you tried, in Opera, to select settings and then change it to become the default browser?

Nope, the only way to change the default browser at the moment is the way Christian described -- through Safari. I just checked now, and Opera has no such option.

As for other types of documents, usually the easiest way is to select a file of the type you want to change, and then under "Open with", select the program you want to open that particular file. If a program you want isn't listed, choose "Other..." from the list, and make sure "always use this application to open this file" is checked.

To set the default for all files, just click the "Change all..." button.

Hope this helps

Hello,

You are welcome. In this particular instance, it reminds me of a Microsloth solution. I would rather see a control panel on the subject, as it is clearly a CONTROL issue. Hmm. Maybe I will write Apple on it.

Christian

Interestingly enough it used to be in a control panel called internet, but later got squashed into safari and mail.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.