OK, new here, so be patient... Thanks.
I have my iMac connected to my HP 2510 Photosmart all-in-one. It will print anything I want to print, but when I try to Scan, it says that there is no scanner recognized. I have the HP "Image Zone" logo displayed on the Dock as I have downloaded the Driver from the HP website and it said it was successfully installed, but still I cannot scan.
How do I fix this problem??? Any takers?

Here are two possible solutions:

1. Try using Image Capture - it should be located in the Applications folder on your hard drive. That's the Mac OS X built-in scanning application that works with some Twain scanners. Go to the Devices menu and see if it recognizes your scanner.

2. Try VueScan. It works with many scanners.

http://www.hamrick.com/

Claire

Image capture doesn't recognize any image devices.
Where do I find the "Devices Menu?"
Thanks, I thought I had been forsaken...

OK, what is I.R.I.S. and how do I use that, it seems helpful.
Why don't Apple computers come with a proper instruction book?
If you can't navigate around the workings very well, you aren't going to find anything very easily, are you? Well, I guess this way your forced to learn. So how do I use IRIS?
Thanks.

Image capture doesn't recognize any image devices.
Where do I find the "Devices Menu?"
Thanks, I thought I had been forsaken...

Are you using Mac OS X 10.5? If you are, you'll see a Devices menu on the menu bar after you launch Image Capture. Pull down the menu and select "Browse Devices." I'm not on my computer with the scanner right now, but if I remember correctly, there is an option for selecting or locating a Twain device. I have to use that option to get Image Capture to recognize my HP scanner. If the pane is completely blank, it means that Mac OS X can't recognize the scanner. In that case, I'd recommend trying VueScan.

Another option is to contact HP directly. They have Mac support and they will try to work through the problem with you. You can find the contact information on their website: www.hp.com.

Claire

I'll answer your two questions separately.

Why don't Apple computers come with a proper instruction book?
If you can't navigate around the workings very well, you aren't going to find anything very easily, are you? Well, I guess this way your forced to learn.

Mac OS X is a very powerful operating system and if Apple provided a complete manual for all of the features included in the system, you'd have a 1,000 page manual (at least). That's why people like me write (and sell) books to help Mac users with the operating system :) .

OK, what is I.R.I.S. and how do I use that, it seems helpful. So how do I use IRIS?
Thanks.

I.R.I.S. is a program that lets you scan documents, such as PDF documents, into your computer and then you can turn the text from the documents into a text file. You can download the documentation from this link:

http://www.irislink.com/c2-1461-189/IRIS-Product-manuals.aspx

Claire

Hi Claire, first of all, let me thank you for your help in this matter. Like the rest of us I realize you are probably screamin' busy this time of year. But, Thank you!
Ok, I uninstalled the all the existing hp crap from my computer then I went online to the hp site and downloaded a much newer version of my drivers needed than I had on the disk that came with the printer years ago. I actually did this twice, just trying to get everything to work. All that seemed to work was the print function. I could get the scanner to scan from the control panel on the printer, but all I got was very small picture of the scan on my desktop but it was unusable. (I could neither send the scan anywhere or save it)
I finally bit the bullet and bought the Professional version of Vuescan as you suggested and now the scanner is working perfectly... with one hitch...
Now I cannot print anything ! What is it with these programs... you're either allowed one function or the other?
I now get a message when I try to print that reads: "Operation Could not be Completed. client-error-not-possible."
The print job is listed in the printer Que but is not printable as I keep getting the above message.
Help, this is getting sort of frustrating and expensive, but I'm still happy to have my Mac.
Thanks again, Jim.
ps. Merry Christmas !!! (i know, not very PC of me hey? Who cares! Merry Christmas !!!)

Hi Jim,

I'm afraid I can't help you on this one. I'd suggest you contact both HP and the makers of VueScan for support. Try their email support and explain the problem in detail.

You can also try the Apple discussion boards. I know other users have had problems with HP all-in-ones. Try a search for HP scanner or HP printer.

http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa

Claire

I have had a few emails from Ed Hamrick the maker of Vuescan and he says that nothing in his program will interfere with my print function.
I explained that it only ceased to function after installing Vuescan. He again stipulated that nothing in his program will interfere with my print function.
I know what I know and my print worked fine before Vuescan and not at all after the install.
It has been 6 Months with no Print function and it is P!$$ing me off.
I'd rather print than scan but sometimes I need to scan documents for one of my businesses, so I can't really just eliminate my scan function.
Could I put Vuescan onto a Disk and only use it when I need to scan and otherwise uninstall it from my iMac?
Any other suggestions?
Thanks, Jim.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.