Hello,

I have an old Performa 6200cd mac. It is a great machine but the OS is 8. I would like to run some software but most requires OS/9 or higher. Can I upgrade to this and how do I find it? Can I go on up to OS/10 after I get OS/9? It sat idle for quite a while as the cd rom drive went bad and I did not have the time or money to replace it. I just replaced it and now that it works I need OS/9 or higher to run most of the newer software. Thank you for your help!

homescool

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

It's been a while since I've dealt with that era of Macs, so I might not be right about some of the following; it comes from now dim and distant memory:

1. First of all, to upgrade to any version of OS 9, you need to be running at least OS 8.5. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no idea where you can get the software for any part of that migration path at this point; eBay, Craig's List, or some similar avenue might be your best bet.

2. No current version of OS X will run on that machine at all as far as I know (they require at least a true G3 CPU), and if recall correctly, the only way to get even the early versions of OS X on to such a machine involved installing a processor upgrade card.

It's been a while since I've dealt with that era of Macs, so I might not be right about some of the following; it comes from now dim and distant memory:

1. First of all, to upgrade to any version of OS 9, you need to be running at least OS 8.5. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no idea where you can get the software for any part of that migration path at this point; eBay, Craig's List, or some similar avenue might be your best bet.

2. No current version of OS X will run on that machine at all as far as I know (they require at least a true G3 CPU), and if recall correctly, the only way to get even the early versions of OS X on to such a machine involved installing a processor upgrade card.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! I will try looking for the software to upgrade. I think as long as I have at least 9 I can run the software I need to use.
homescool

Apparently the maximum OS that a Performa 6200 could handle is OS 9.1. So when you purchased OS9 from where ever, keep that in mind.

You're welcome homescool; good luck with the hunt!

Apparently the maximum OS that a Performa 6200 could handle is OS 9.1. So when you purchased OS9 from where ever, keep that in mind.

Yes, I think that's true. Also- if I recall correctly, 9.1 fixed some bugs in 9.0 that were causing a lot of people problems, so you probably want to get 9.1 if possible.

I meant it more as a warning NOT to buy an OS 9 installer that was 9.2.1 or 9.2.2.

Try and stick with 9 or 9.04. All the upgrades are free and available from Apple anyway.

Again I THANK YOU ALL! For the record, this site is the best! Never have I had such a quick response to a question and with such on target information! If I were younger I would say : You guys rock! :)

Homescool

If I were younger I would say : You guys rock! :)

lol. Kewl d00d!

Glad we could help. :mrgreen:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.