I get this error message while trying to install OS X on my blue and white G3 tower that is currently running 9.2...

"An error has occurred. Startup disk was unable to select the install cd as startup disk. (-2)"

The CD drive works fine, recognizes the OS X disc, lets me view and click on individual items on the OS X disk, even lets me select the OS 9.2 disc as a startup disc, but no matter what I do, it won't allow me to select the OS X disc as the startup disc. Even when I go to the select startup disc function, the OS X cd only appears as a "gray" listing that can't be selected.

Oh, and my blue and white G3 clamshell iBook recognizes the exact same OS X disc as a startup disc with no problem. Any ideas?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Hello,

I guess the only question I have is WHY you want to have the OS X disk be the startup disk for users too work with?

It might be a permissions problem. After you boot from the hard drive, and have your patches and that installed, be sure to run Disk Utility, and check over the disk permissions. Youo may have an issue with /Volumes or something preventing a proper mount.

Christian

Hello,

I guess the only question I have is WHY you want to have the OS X disk be the startup disk for users too work with?

It might be a permissions problem. After you boot from the hard drive, and have your patches and that installed, be sure to run Disk Utility, and check over the disk permissions. Youo may have an issue with /Volumes or something preventing a proper mount.

Christian

Sorry, I wasn't clear... I am simply attempting to INSTALL OS X on my G3 machine (currently running 9.2) for the first time. The OS X installation process requires that the installation CD (CD #1 to be specific) be inserted and used as the startup disk, which I assume will initiate the actual installation of OS X upon re-start.

Unfortunately as I've stated, my G3 tower running 9.2 has somehow decided that the OS X disc cannot be used as a start-up disc, making the entire installation process grind to a halt before it even begins.

BTW, there is no problem using my 9.2 installation disk as a startup disc, so I know it's not the CD drive or any issue with the start-up disc program.

And when I insert the OS X disc into my other G3 (an iBook running OS X), it can be selected as a startup disc, that tells me there no problem with the actual CD disc itself.

FYI, my problem turned out to be the CD disc itself.

A nice guy at the local Mac Store used his CD to initiate the installation process, and everything worked out.

Hello,

I'm sorry I lost track of this topic -- I was married on April 30, and took some time away from the boards.

Glad it is working now.

Christian

I am having the same exact problem!!!
Can someone help me, with any other ideas.... Same tower but diff. mac laptop. I am using a g4 powerbook.....

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.