We have recvd a donated iMac 500mHz from a parent of one of our students. It came with all the CDs for 9 and 10.0.4. The unit has been upgraded to 10.0.4 but none of the applications are present including the installer app. We have tried booting from the install CDs by hold down C on start up, but the computer gets part way up then hangs. We can't get any applications to load or even go back to 9. We have even tried installing a new Tiger DVD but the unit states it does not know which application to use to install the upgrade. We plugged in an external DVD player which works just fine.

Anybody have any ideas as to how to get out of this? We could really use this computer in the classroom.

Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I had a similar problem a few years ago with a beige G3 using Mac OS 9.0.1

I had to reformat the hard drive and install OSX first.

This was very hit and miss but eventually I managed to install it. The installer under the early versions of Mac OSX seemed to be very glitchy on older Macs, but as mentioned, it did work in the end.

Macs that do not have built in USB can be upgraded to Mac OS 10.2.8 and that's it. After that, it's time to buy a new Mac.

You realize this thread is two years old, no?

So did I break Daniweb's posting rules by replying to an older thread?

I don't think so. Excuse me, but I will respond to any post that I choose.

The particular posting had had no responses, so I made one.

May I politely suggest that in future you limit your forum responses to answering only actual content of posts, instead of trying to make clever remarks?

That's my 2 cents, and nice to meet you, too.

>So did I break Daniweb's posting rules by replying to an older thread?
Nope. But it is discouraged.
http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread78223.html

>The particular posting had had no responses, so I made one.
Except that it's rather unlikely those people will keep a Mac that isn't working for two years just in case some one replies to this thread. :icon_rolleyes:

>May I politely suggest that in future you limit your forum responses to
>answering only actual content of posts, instead of trying to make clever remarks?
Actually, the reply I gave is the standard response here when you bump a support thread like this. Perhaps you shouldn't be so aggressive until you understand the DaniWeb culture here.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.