I just bought a new Powerbook with the Tiger OS. I noticed that Microsoft offers a version of Internet Explorer (v5.2.3) and Windows Media Player 9 for the Mac.

Do I need to install IE? Will there be some web pages that Safari cannot display properly?

I am a little wary about installing IE since even Microsoft admits that the version for the Mac (v 5.2.3) is old and has a Java security bug. It also does not look like MS is going to release newer versions of IE for the Mac.

Do I need to install Windows Media Player 9 for the Mac? I am a little wary since it does not look like I can uninstall WMP once it is installed.

Any assistance to a Mac newbie would be appreciated.

Rob

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

If you don't like IE5:Mac don't use it, get Firefox, and it should handle everything fine.

To uninstall WMP, drag the app to the trash :)

I also have a computer running Linux. I am very familiar with Linux, compiling from Source, Firefox and the Mozilla Suite, etc etc. Great products. But there are some web site that do NOT display properly when using Mozilla or Firefox since some webmasters make the pages only compatible for IE. So I end uo using IE using wine for some websites.

My question relates to the Safari browser. Is it more compatible than Firefox/Mozilla when displaying pages designed for IE?

If not, I may have to install IE on the Mac.

And thanks for the uninstall info on WMP. I was curious since MS is silent on the uninstall procedure for WMP 9 for the Mac. (It does give uninstall info for IE etc).

Rob

Safari is less compabitle since as far as I've seen. Honestly, Firefox is going to be your best bet and friend if your are already using it.

If you don't like IE5:Mac don't use it, get Firefox, and it should handle everything fine.

To uninstall WMP, drag the app to the trash :)

Hi
I've tried getting rid of WMP and have dragged the App to the trash, but when emptying I get the following message

"the operation cannot be completed because 'wmphelp.htm' is locked"
(options) Stop -- Continue
When I press continue continue other .htm and .gif files appear as locked.
But I can't find any of these files on my system.
Sorry to but in here, but I would appreciate any advise.
Regards
C

Sorry to blow your bubble but Firefox has some rather serious problems with especially CSS2 but also the ECMAScript (which is the official standard for Javascript) support is far from perfect.
IE6 has far more complete support for the standards in fact.

Hi
I've tried getting rid of WMP and have dragged the App to the trash, but when emptying I get the following message

"the operation cannot be completed because 'wmphelp.htm' is locked"
(options) Stop -- Continue
When I press continue continue other .htm and .gif files appear as locked.
But I can't find any of these files on my system.
Sorry to but in here, but I would appreciate any advise.
Regards
C

FOLLOW UP!
I found this while surfing for this problem.

- trash the WMP folder that has hte app itself
- trash the corresponding Inter Plug-in in the Plug in folder in
/Library
- trash the WMP pref and .plist from the ~/Library/Preferences folder
(the one in your user account)

hold down the alt-key and select "empty the trash" from the icon of the
Trash in the Dock,

It WORKS!!!!
:lol: :eek: :cheesy:

Sorry to blow your bubble but Firefox has some rather serious problems with especially CSS2 but also the ECMAScript (which is the official standard for Javascript) support is far from perfect.
IE6 has far more complete support for the standards in fact.

Everything I've used firefox for works great. I highly suggest it. It's faster and safer the internet explorer.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.