hello,

first post so take it easy on me if there's a very obvious solution.

i'm trying to find some very simple software to record audio from my dv camcorder via a firewire port. i want to record as a .wav or .aiff file and don't need to record the video.

i have been using imovie but you can oly recoird in 10 minute chunks and digitising the video seems like a waste.

i'm using a mac (OSX 10.3.9)

i just want something very simple as all i need to to is load the sound files into the express scribe dictation software so i can transcribe interviews.

any suggestions much appreciated,

lizzie

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hello Lizzie,

Welcome to DaniWeb.

I use a program called Amadeous II that was developed by hairerSoft.com It is shareware, and I think it cost $40 or so. But what it allows me to do is input audio from the microphone, or from the mic jacks in the back of the computer. I do not have a USB / Firewire camera to test things on, so I am not sure Amadeous will work strictly with that interface.

BUT, if y ou have an audio out on your camera, you might be able to:

* Wire the output jack of the camera to the mic in jack on the computer
* tell your software to record
* tell your camera to play
* walk away

You may need to adjust your input levels on the computer, so that you do not over-drive the software. Amadeous will allow you to do that.

I realize this might not be the "firewire-only" solution, but it should get the job done for you.

BTW, is it possible to shut OFF the video feed using iMovie? I remember using Adobe Premiere, and I could kill the video feed, so that only audio was captured and processed.

Christian

hi and thanks for replying,

thing is i am using a new HDV camera and down converting to Standard DV so i really need to be able to use the firwire port (the camera doesn't have separate component outs.

i'll check out the software though and see if i get anywhere.
thanks

lizzie

Hello Lizzie,

Welcome to DaniWeb.

I use a program called Amadeous II that was developed by hairerSoft.com It is shareware, and I think it cost $40 or so. But what it allows me to do is input audio from the microphone, or from the mic jacks in the back of the computer. I do not have a USB / Firewire camera to test things on, so I am not sure Amadeous will work strictly with that interface.

BUT, if y ou have an audio out on your camera, you might be able to:

* Wire the output jack of the camera to the mic in jack on the computer
* tell your software to record
* tell your camera to play
* walk away

You may need to adjust your input levels on the computer, so that you do not over-drive the software. Amadeous will allow you to do that.

I realize this might not be the "firewire-only" solution, but it should get the job done for you.

BTW, is it possible to shut OFF the video feed using iMovie? I remember using Adobe Premiere, and I could kill the video feed, so that only audio was captured and processed.

Christian

i have been using imovie but you can oly recoird in 10 minute chunks and digitising the video seems like a waste.

I'm a bit confused by your 10 minute comment. I use imovie to record hours of video at a time. If you need the output file as a single file and the .mov file won't work, you can extract the audio and export the file in a number of format.

With QT Pro you can open the imovie file and export it in many more formats.

Hope this helps.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.