this may seem like a very borad question but I was wondering if anyone had a clue why apple does not allow flash to work on iphones and ipads...it just doesn't seem to make sense to me. Maybe I have missed somthing in the media but what could apple loose from allowing flash to work on their products? is it just due to them having difficulties getting it to work? or is ther som other reason that they just plain don't want it on their products...

Recommended Answers

All 22 Replies

It is a easy question. Because iPhone can't support flash video format.it just support MP4 and AVI. you can use free iPhone video converter to solve this problem. It can convert flash video to MP4 Or AVI. SO you can watch you flash video.

Well yeah I get that :-), my question is why did apple choose to not allow the iPhone and ipad support flash?

It's always been a little complicated. From what I've heard, it's due to performance and crashing issues. However, it also seems that Apple just don't like Adobe and they want to keep control to themselves.

Wired did a pretty good piece on it, called Investigation: What made Apple freeze out Adobe?. Hopefully that clears up a few things.

commented: reputation doublage +15

oh, I also heard from my friend that apple don't like adobe nevertheless I don't know why apple hate adobe.
This also do problem with many websites who based on flash applets and this is very alas!!
goodbye!

Flash is just an outdated technology, and Apple has recognized that.

But you can run flash file by installing skyfire browser in your iphone .
Skyfire support flash file in iphone try it.

yeah the i phone don't support flash with master settings you have to download flash player to make flash work ...

Its my understanding that they won't support Flash because it attempts to write to the iOS which Apple doesn't allow (differences between M$ and Mac) I've heard vague rumors about HTML 5 perhaps resolving this issue but have yet to see it in action. Anyone else hear this? Haven't tried Skyfire yet but that's because it's not free. Mercury Web Browser (free) was supposed to allow Flash on iPhone as well but I was unable to get it to work.

Allowing Flash — which is a development platform of its own — would just be too dangerous for Apple, a company that enjoys exerting total dominance over its hardware and the software that runs on it. Flash has evolved from being a mere animation player into a multimedia platform capable of running applications of its own. That means Flash would open a new door for application developers to get their software onto the iPhone: Just code them in Flash and put them on a web page. In so doing, Flash would divert business from the App Store, as well as enable publishers to distribute music, videos and movies that could compete with the iTunes Store.

jailbreak you iphone, Open cydia and type FRASH , you will find a program, Install it. then your Safari will be able to support flash media.

HTML5 Video is the new flash

Its my understanding that they won't support Flash because it attempts to write to the iOS which Apple doesn't allow (differences between M$ and Mac) I've heard vague rumors about HTML 5 perhaps resolving this issue but have yet to see it in action. Anyone else hear this? Haven't tried Skyfire yet but that's because it's not free. Mercury Web Browser (free) was supposed to allow Flash on iPhone as well but I was unable to get it to work.

Skyfire is worth the money spend. You should try it.

An enterprising iPhone hacker has figured out how to get Adobe Flash working on the iPhone, despite Steve Jobs' banishment of the third-party plugin from all iDevices for reasons detailed in his long-winded "Thoughts on Flash" memo posted to Apple.com back in April.

Thanks for the link fusedreality! Really appreciated it. I was wondering the same question a while back when I got my iPad.. My question is that I've noticed an ongoing trend in website design where Flash is being phased out as well. From an SEO standpoint, it makes sense, but do you think Apple's rejection of Flash also had a heavy influence on it as well?

Yup i would also recommend skyfire media. Apple reject flash due to fierce competition. It want to use only its own apple products since that flash is not invented by apple. Hope it helps. anyway the original guy have not come back and this thread has started since last year

It's exactly the same as when Apple decided that floppy disks where no longer usable and dropped the floppy disk drive from all of their products.
And I don't necessarily think it was a bad move, with Apple's huge market presence they should be able to quicken the shift to HTML 5 and away from horrible Adobe Flash, which, if you've ever used an Android phone, you will know is horrible on portable devices.

In my mind, adobe flash technology is a very very cute and great and it's simply wonderful what you can do with this adobe platform so it's very bad that apple doesn't support at this technology.
P.s. Maybe android don't run flash presentations smoothly because it's processor isn't rapid enough, but I think that the apple processor chips can do it easily.

It's exactly the same as when Apple decided that floppy disks where no longer usable and dropped the floppy disk drive from all of their products.
And I don't necessarily think it was a bad move, with Apple's huge market presence they should be able to quicken the shift to HTML 5 and away from horrible Adobe Flash, which, if you've ever used an Android phone, you will know is horrible on portable devices.

As per my knowledge flash won't work on iphone due to some issues with adobe.

Hi,
Yes Apple doesn't support Flash Player and there is no need to support it. There are many other better options available for Apple like you can go for Mplayer X which can play almost any kind of format in Mac. If we talk about the iPhone then you can use iVideo Converter to convert into .MP4 and .avi(Quick Time Player Formats).

it would better, if u try frash. This only work on jailbreak iDevice. iPad 2 seem not support frash yet.(I tested it already)

Now there is no need for flash as Adobe Flash will be dead! HTML5 will rule

Adobe's Flash Media Server 4.5 introduces support for iOS devices, which lets broadcasters stream Flash-based video content

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.