hi ,i just picked up a imac cube type at the enviro depo ,it has working os10,but its password ,any way to get in with out reinstalling os10 thanks

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

You can reset your password but reformatting your whole macbook or unless you have a master password. If you had a master password you can click on forget login password and reset it. Another admin account can also help you reset it. Capperjack, are you talking about mac login password or others? Login refer to the one when you startup and see a galaxy background with a small window that ask you to select your account and login. YOu can have more than one account

Its the others login ,i google a bit and found that maybe i could change it by booting to the os install disk ,but i don't have one [use to a few yrs back ]i need to track one down and just reinstall the os10.computer was being thrown away so no disk to be had with it
thanks

Yup, the mac installation disk allow you to reset any password including the admin password. You can try and purchase one from any apple store or any computer shop. You can also borrow one from your friends if they have. Here are the steps you can change the password with the disk.

1) Insert the disk into your macnook and later restart it, when the mac boot up and you see the apple logo hold down the c button. ( Can be found at the apple guide book or apple support website )
2) After you will see a window, choose a language and click next.
3) When you enter ignore everything, go to utilities at the top and you will see reset admin password, click on that and reset your password. After that eject the disk and restart your macbook to see whether it works.

Second thing, if you get the disk lock it up. There was once when i got my macbook pro and my cousin came and stay over at my parent's house ( My house ). When i was out, he took the disk and reset my admin password. When i found out, i quickly change it back and lock up the disk. Better safe keep the disk. If you need any more helo just post. Good luck, you will see me often in the apple forum.

I know of one friend who uses macks and i should be-able to borrow his,just remembered my nephew has a mac book ,i'll check and see if he has a disk i can borrow ,thanks for the info

I know of one friend who uses macks and i should be-able to borrow his,just remembered my nephew has a mac book ,i'll check and see if he has a disk i can borrow ,thanks for the info

You are welcome. I am glad i can offer assistance to you capperjack. Any mac problems just post.:)

thanks.

i found some instruction on changing the password with out a mac disk but it requires a mac keyboard and i don't have one [yet]

Did you mean the hack. The one that you type a lot of commands and letter that one?

Did you mean the hack. The one that you type a lot of commands and letter that one?

this is what i found ,for changing it with out the os dvd .

You need to enter terminal and create a new admin account:

1. Reboot
2. Hold apple key + s key down after you hear the chime. (command + s on newer Macs)
3. When you get text prompt enter in these terminal commands to create a brand new admin account (hitting return after each line):

mount -uw /
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
shutdown -h now

4. After rebooting you should have a brand new admin account. When you login as the new admin you can simply delete the old one and your good to go again!

Yup, that is the command cheat. But it still can change your admin password. Good luck caperjack.

been awhile but finally borrowed a mac keyboard ,and created a new acct ,using the above commands ,now it works ,and works good for a free computer.600gHz power pc G3 512 ram,40 gig hdd OSX.3.6

Maybe you will buy a Imac with Lion OSX installed on it for Christmas!:)

Maybe you will buy a Imac with Lion OSX installed on it for Christmas!:)

some day maybe

this is what i found ,for changing it with out the os dvd .

You need to enter terminal and create a new admin account:

1. Reboot
2. Hold apple key + s key down after you hear the chime. (command + s on newer Macs)
3. When you get text prompt enter in these terminal commands to create a brand new admin account (hitting return after each line):

mount -uw /
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
shutdown -h now

4. After rebooting you should have a brand new admin account. When you login as the new admin you can simply delete the old one and your good to go again!

just wanted to add that above only created a new acct that had no admin rights,couldn't even change the time ,until i did the following ,change the root password!
======================
mount -uw /
passwd *username*
reboot now

replace *username* with the desired login name. If you don’t know it, go in to /Users and see which folders are available…
cd /Users
ls -a
=================================

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.