Hi there,
I'm trying to contact my niece in the UK, via webcam. She has a PC, a webcam and is using MSN, I have a Mac a webcam and am TRYING to use MSN.
Having just spent the time and money getting broadband and getting a webcam and getting MSN... I discover that MSN v5 is the only one that is available for a Mac and doesn't like my webcam. Or indeed, any webcam. Or Macs.
Apparently, I need to upgrade but can't seem to find the software I need.
Now, am I missing something here, or does that somehow really suck? Or should I just buy her a Mac for Christmas?
You'd think they'd be an easier option. There has to be a solution; and whatever it is, it isn't me buying a PC.
Any ideas?!!

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Thanks. I'll have a look there!

Hi there,

You can download alternate programs that will connect you to your MSN acount and will allowe you to use your webcam with any user...asuming you have the proper drivers n such/your mac recognizes your cam

I know of two programs
One of them is "Murcery messenger" http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/25617
and the other is "aMSN" http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/email_chat/amsn.html

Goodluck... and I would still suggest buying her a mac... windows is crap lol

Hi there,
I'm trying to contact my niece in the UK, via webcam. She has a PC, a webcam and is using MSN, I have a Mac a webcam and am TRYING to use MSN.
Having just spent the time and money getting broadband and getting a webcam and getting MSN... I discover that MSN v5 is the only one that is available for a Mac and doesn't like my webcam. Or indeed, any webcam. Or Macs.
Apparently, I need to upgrade but can't seem to find the software I need.
Now, am I missing something here, or does that somehow really suck? Or should I just buy her a Mac for Christmas?
You'd think they'd be an easier option. There has to be a solution; and whatever it is, it isn't me buying a PC.
Any ideas?!!

Try a free web-based camchat service like webcamnow (webcamnow.com). All you need is an up-to-date web browser. It's a good backup system in case MSN or AIM goes down.

Why don't you give a try to skype ?

Here are some reasons why people hate Micro$haft.

I hate Micro$oft

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.