Hi all,

Been a long time since i last posted on this forum :P

For a little while I have been curious about data recovery programs for the mac; by that I mean actually creating one from scratch. I know that this isn't the best area to post this question but the software, i would imagine, may have to be created using the Xcode application of OS lion. Or failing that using a software language I am familiar with; like java.

So does anyone have any experience in this area or should I rely on ready made expensive software for my solution?

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

As far as designing one for yourself goes, Xcode is a must. However, it requires a some what in-depth knowledge of how Lion deals with data. The only think I've ever used Xcode for is compiling my C/C++.

Regards
Arkinder

You need to have xcode. Sorry for repeating what you said Arkinder. You can get xcode for free in the mac app store.

Hi Katana24,

You could write your code in C++ (XCode). You can then install XCode or install your environment from scratch. But I advice you to use XCode as it's very simple yet powerful and you do have all development headers already installed on your system.

But there are open source recovery tools out there. For instance http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk. It's not the best, but alright for daily usage.

Greets, Simon

I have used Stellar program for Mac data recovery. I had bought it for Mac OS X 10.6 but its working smoothly with Mac Lion also.

The free download is available for trial. An all-in-one application to recover images, videos docs etc.

Data loss situations may occur in Mac system because of numerous reasons. the lost data can be recovered from backup but in the case backup is not available you may use third party application. Free Mac data recovery is efficient application that recovers data lost from Mac system in almost all data loss situations.

To recover something, you first need to know how's it like before.
So.
I think it's simple of you to first create a Copy&Save program to back up the system files(better be archieved), and another Copy&Save program to write files back.
and This can be done with Command Line C/C++ program.

if you need a backup programme you can use the built in programme in the OS, in this case time machine, but if you want to develop the best way is to use objective C or cocoa that are the main programming languages in Mac OS, cheers.

if you need a backup programme you can use the built in programme in the OS, in this case time machine, but if you want to develop the best way is to use objective C or cocoa that are the main programming languages in Mac OS, cheers.

I think you are right. One must possess a deep knowledge of objective C or cocoa to work upon Mac. One more point I would like to add here that one must preserve a regularly updated backup of his data so as to handle a data loss situation.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.