Hi,

Since upgrading to OSX 3.9 , my mouse and keyboard constantly freeze. I suspect a conflict, but FirstAid and the CD's Utilies ( AND the consol fsck -y search find nothing.

It MAINLY happened online and/or when using MSWord 2001.
I recently added Firefox and Thunderbird and the freezing got worse ( froze twice while doing this note).

When my daughter logs into her mode, she's getting a crash error message of (Unix style) "Push restart button now"

I don't have Norton or TechTool ( which one is better BTW?)-so many suggestions?

Your assist will be greatly appreciated.

artstar

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

When my daughter logs into her mode, she's getting a crash error message of (Unix style) "Push restart button now"

Your daughter is experiencing a kernel panic.

Please read the following article and folow the link at the bottom "Issolating Issues in Mac OS X".

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106227

As for the "freezing" of the mouse/cursor, what do the logs have to say about it? Open /Applications/Utilites/Console.app and look at tne entries that buffer when it happens for some clues to the culprit.

Hi,

Thanx for the quick response.

As for the mouse freeze, the consol is giving me this sort of mesage. What do I do about it?

Thanx

Jan 7 14:10:29 artstar kernel: USBF: 13166.862 Apple Optical USB Mouse[0x1aa6800]: Error (0xe00002ed) getting device config descriptor

Jan 7 14:10:29 artstar kernel: USBF: 13166.862 Apple Optical USB Mouse[0x1aa6800]::GetFullConfigurationDescriptor - Error (e00002ed) getting first 9 bytes of config descriptor

Jan 7 14:10:29 artstar kernel: USBF: 13167.163 Apple Optical USB Mouse[0x1aa6800]: Error (0xe00002ed) getting device config descriptor

Jan 7 14:10:29 artstar kernel: USBF: 13167.164 Apple Optical USB Mouse[0x1aa6800]: Error (0xe00002ed) getting device config descriptor

if you have the install disk you can run disk firstaid to repare most major problems
it could also be a privlege problem where you would need to repare your permissions.

hold the c key down when you start up with the install disk in your computer
go to the top menu and load disk first aid then select your HD and repare your permissions and your HD if that doesent fix it then you will be in deep trouble

Jan 7 14:10:29 artstar kernel: USBF: 13166.862 Apple Optical USB Mouse[0x1aa6800]: Error (0xe00002ed) getting device config descriptor

Hmm.. hard to tell.. looks like a hardware problem with the mouse. If you can get a replacement or borrow a mouse from someone (it doesn't have to be an Apple mouse), try using that instead to see if the problem persists or goes away.

Hi,

Since upgrading to OSX 3.9 , my mouse and keyboard constantly freeze. I suspect a conflict, but FirstAid and the CD's Utilies ( AND the consol fsck -y search find nothing.

It MAINLY happened online and/or when using MSWord 2001.
I recently added Firefox and Thunderbird and the freezing got worse ( froze twice while doing this note).

I don't have Norton or TechTool ( which one is better BTW?)-so many suggestions?

Your assist will be greatly appreciated.

artstar

Check to make sure that it's your OS that is freezing and not your USB ports shutting off.

Check to make sure that it's your OS that is freezing and not your USB ports shutting off.

How do I do that?http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=185916#

Note: I've noticed that the laser light goes off on the mouse somethimes (not ALL times) with the freeze. I 'fix it' by unplugging and replugging the keybaord/mouse usb.

Would that indicate a port shut off vs OS?

First off, "freezing" has endless potential causes, so it's hard to diagnose on a forum. I've seen a single corrupt font take down entire creative departments.

So anyway, if it's your USB ports shutting off, none of your other USB devices will work. Next time it "freezes," plug in a USB flash drive (directly to CPU, not into keyboard) and see if it mounts.

If the USB is the problem, it's worth having a tech check the logic board, power supply, etc. I had this problem awhile back with a G5 tower. Logic board was fine. The solution was to use a grounded power regulator/battery backup to give the computer clean and steady power.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.