Hi everyone.
I am trying to help a friend with her macbook which faces a mysterious problem.
The macbook cannot access certain sites like facebook and pinterest when my friend uses her home wifi connection.
The problem appears both on safari and chrome.
When she came to my home using my wifi router both sites loaded perfectly so i assumed It was just a random problem. When she went back to hers, it happened again.
Sometimes the browser will pop a certificate error message and oher times just a blank page not loading anything.

The strange thing is that it happens only when using her home router and only on those websites, as far as i know.

I tried to clear browser cache and forcefully accept not valid certificates but no luck...

Any ideas?
Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

hi,i am a windows user ,but itf it were doing it to me i would rest the router ,should be a small button on the bottom or back ,you need to use a pointed object to push and hold it in till all the lights start flashing on the router

Check the time and date on her laptop. As well make sure she doesn't have any blocked ports or sites on her router. This all sounds like SSH acting up, so might as well check into any settings related to that as well.

hi,i am a windows user ,but itf it were doing it to me i would rest the router ,should be a small button on the bottom or back ,you need to use a pointed object to push and hold it in till all the lights start flashing on the router

I would if i could go there, but i wouldn't recommend my novice friend that, fearing that it would loose any settings.

Check the time and date on her laptop. As well make sure she doesn't have any blocked ports or sites on her router. This all sounds like SSH acting up, so might as well check into any settings related to that as well.

This was the first thing i did since it happened to me a couple of times too. It was not the case...

Anyway i cannot imagine a way that the router could prevent access to certain websites from a specific operating system. Isn't it supposed to be transparent in the way it handles requests?
Do home routers have any kind of blacklisting policy that i am not aware of?

On the other hand it seems as the most possible point of failure so i am going to have to reset it.
I am just asking cause i would love to know what really goes on.
I am a geek...
:)

How about using your router at her address and then try using her router at your address.

Since you know her Mac works at your address you will then eliminate her ISP/routing/by using your router at her address (you will have to use her ISP login details..on your router)

Then you will find out if it is her router causing the problem if you have set up it using your logon details at your address

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.