computer works great but. cant open harddrive cant reload computer software.can connect to internet fine. everything in dock works but anything else on desktop doesnt. please help, have a imac 10

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

cant reload software or open harddrive. any idesas

Hi,

You might have a permissions problem on the computer. I assume you are using OS X. You should be able to boot the installer disk, and run the disk utility. Do a check for disk permission problems.

If you need more help / hints, let us know.

Christian

No one likes to admit this, but I beleive that since OSX is unix based, there ARE viruses out there now. A friend of mine was doing alot of downloading with file sharing software, and all of a sudden, no menu bar and no finder. Well, REINSTALL was the only option. Virus utilities were useless, the two top Disk Utilities actually made OSX problems worse, so you can see why reinstalling was the answer. (I have never seen Disk Warrior do anything but destroy, on my computer or anyone else's.)

Rules to live by: Back up frequently, and keep your OSX install disks handy at all times.

MacTecTom

Hi MacTecTom,

I would agree that Viruses are possible on OS X. We have to be aware of any Microsoft Word/Excel Macro virus, as well as viruses crafted to attack the OS. We still live in a world where everyone is running around using an administrator account on the computers, further complicating the problems.

Backups are also a requirement... any hard drive failure can cause a problem, and the most important materials on your hard drive are the data sets that cannot be simply restored, or re-installed.

I haven't had to re-insall OS X multiple times though, nor OS 8 and 9.

Christian

No one likes to admit this, but I beleive that since OSX is unix based, there ARE viruses out there now. A friend of mine was doing alot of downloading with file sharing software, and all of a sudden, no menu bar and no finder. Well, REINSTALL was the only option. Virus utilities were useless, the two top Disk Utilities actually made OSX problems worse, so you can see why reinstalling was the answer. (I have never seen Disk Warrior do anything but destroy, on my computer or anyone else's.)

Rules to live by: Back up frequently, and keep your OSX install disks handy at all times.

MacTecTom

so, people can live in different worlds. THE disc-repair-utility, that saved my day
in 4 years OSX, DISCWARRIOR, is reported to fail and damage disc´s.
What a BUMMER.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.