My e has been freezing up lately, frequently, randomly. Don't know what to do. Ran cocktail and disk utility repeatedly, no luck. I would soooo appreciate some good advice. Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Sounds like either your memory has a problem, or your motherboard is on its way out. I would say you should first test the RAM or insert some different RAM into the eMac, and if that doesn't work, then you should probably get a new motherboard (ouch).

Sounds like either your memory has a problem, or your motherboard is on its way out. I would say you should first test the RAM or insert some different RAM into the eMac, and if that doesn't work, then you should probably get a new motherboard (ouch).

Thx joe. As a newby I do not know what you mean by "first testing the RAM or insert some different RAM into the e..." Could you splain? How much would new mother cost?

Thx joe. As a newby I do not know what you mean by "first testing the RAM or insert some different RAM into the e..." Could you splain? How much would new mother cost?

You may first want to try zapping the RAM. It basically resets the memory. Simply hold down Command-Option-P-R while the eMac is booting. Also, you should probably run some Disk Utility checks on the hard drive, too, to make sure that's not causing the problem.

If you don't know how to swap RAM, then you probably shouldn't try it. It's kind of complicated if you don't know what you're doing, and you would need some spare eMac RAM lying around that you could test with. As for Motherboard prices... (I think it's around $500.) It's cheaper to buy a new Mac.

If zapping the RAM has no effect, it might first be a good idea to bring it into a nearby Apple dealer and at least find out what the problem is, so you can know if it's worth repairing or not. As an added bonus, official Apple stores have "Mac Geniuses", who are basically Apple people that will fix simple things on your Mac, or find out what's wrong on your Mac, for free.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.