hi there. I'm writing a book and trying to install a 30 day free trial software of InDesign on my Mac OS 10.3 and it says I don't have sufficient memory to do this. I'm pretty sure thats a lie!

I can't find my memory thingy to increase the memory. do I have to buy a memory chip?
does anyone here know of a cheap book layout software? $600 is way too much for a busted writer to pay. thanks, nice website. I should probably hang here more. alysia:eek:

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

trying to install a 30 day free trial software of InDesign on my Mac OS 10.3 and it says I don't have sufficient memory to do this. I'm pretty sure thats a lie!

You can find out how much memory your Mac has by clicking on the Apple menu, and choosing "About this Mac". It will then list the total amount of memory contained in your Mac. However, there may be lots of other apps using the memory too, so to check the amount of free RAM, you'll have to open up the Activity Monitor, which is located in Utilities of the Applications folder.

I can't find my memory thingy to increase the memory. do I have to buy a memory chip?

Do you mean virtual memory? Virtual memory is swapable hard drive space the operating system uses for extended memory, however, it's quite a bit slower than RAM modules, and should only be used for background processes.

You used to be able to adjust the virtual memory usage of Mac OS in the Control Panel, but I think Apple has changed that to an internal feature, as I can't seem to find any way to do it right now. So, your best option is probably to buy some new RAM modules.

does anyone here know of a cheap book layout software?

Hopefully page layout software will work for you. Good ones for Mac are Adobe PageMaker (which is relatively inexpensive), Swift Publisher and Scribus, which is an open-source solution.

:idea:
thanks, I never heard of Swift but am playing with Scribus and will look at Adobe Pagemaker. I also need to place graphics with print resolution tiffs into the book, so I'm researching.
yes of course you get kudos from me friend! too bad I can't pay u money!;)
yes I thought virtual memory was on this one, my mac 8.5 had it. as it turns out it would not have served my purpose so glad I found out.

I don't know about Scribus as looks like you have to build a library and a ghostwriter program and sounds complicated for someone who like to play with words not computer language:o however, its fascinating beyond my complaints. I suspect we are always updating our programs until the bitter end:-|
thanks again for your response, may the gods smile upon your house and hold. alysia

You can find out how much memory your Mac has by clicking on the Apple menu, and choosing "About this Mac". It will then list the total amount of memory contained in your Mac. However, there may be lots of other apps using the memory too, so to check the amount of free RAM, you'll have to open up the Activity Monitor, which is located in Utilities of the Applications folder.

Do you mean virtual memory? Virtual memory is swapable hard drive space the operating system uses for extended memory, however, it's quite a bit slower than RAM modules, and should only be used for background processes.

You used to be able to adjust the virtual memory usage of Mac OS in the Control Panel, but I think Apple has changed that to an internal feature, as I can't seem to find any way to do it right now. So, your best option is probably to buy some new RAM modules.
Hopefully page layout software will work for you. Good ones for Mac are Adobe PageMaker (which is relatively inexpensive), Swift Publisher and Scribus, which is an open-source solution.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.