using 10.4.8 on g3 b&w w/1gb ram owc G4 chip; when i click on address book from any icon, it pops onscreen then disappears. this has me worried because i need to edit it, but can't get to that state. i have deleted the preferences but that doesn't change anything. thanks for any help.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hello,

Does the program actually close, or just the window? If Address Book is still running, you'll see the Address Book menubar at the top of the screen and a triangle on the dock under the Address Book icon. And if that's the case, try clicking on the icon again, and hopefully the window will show up.

If the program entirely quits, then you might want to try using Disk Utility (/Applications/Utilities) to run a "repair permissions" on your hard drive. And if that doesn't help, your records may be corrupted. Open a new Finder window, navigate to ~/Library/Application Support, and rename the folder "Address Book" to something like "Address Book.bak". Then try opening Address Book again, and if it works, you can slowly import your contacts back in.

The same thing happened to me on my Panther two weeks ago. What the problem for me was my font book had fonts that were "shut off" while we tried to get WORD to launch (unsuccessfully I might add). This apparenly created a situation that the address book couldn't open (its default fonts were not available). I discovered the solution just by accident while trying to correct another problem with Panther. Maybe this will also allow my WORD program to launch finally?!. Nope, that didn't do it. But for your problem you might try to open your font book, select ALL, make sure they are all activated/on, then close up the font book and retry the address book. Hope this helps. It worked for me!

using 10.4.8 on g3 b&w w/1gb ram owc G4 chip; when i click on address book from any icon, it pops onscreen then disappears. this has me worried because i need to edit it, but can't get to that state. i have deleted the preferences but that doesn't change anything. thanks for any help.

I'a experiencing the same problem stated above. My Address Book.app won't open. If I select in my dock it starts jumping up and down as if it's opening, but just at the moment the application would start it stops jumping and the activity triangle under the icon in the dock doesn't appear. I've tried all the solutions posed above, but none of them seem to work. Funny thing is, a day after I've installed Quicksilver on my computer I found out my Adddress Book was changed from English to French and some weeks later it just wouldn't open at all...
Uninstalling Quicksilver didn't help either, and let's be honest, I'd rather discard my adress book.app than Quicksilver...

Has anybody experienced the same problem and solved with any other solution than those stated above?

Gr, Miga

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.