I have a hard disk that I have initialized to zerors with mac O/S 9, Drive set up
initialized with mac O/S X and tried everything on the books, but I can not get rid of dimmed Permision repairs. The disk is ok by hardware tests, but I cannot install a system on it or copy files to int without hanging.
Any ideas?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

*bump*

Just in case this got missed...

Hello,

Can you please tell us a little bit about your setup? Is this a second hard drive, or your primary one? Any partitions? Any data on this drive that needs to be saved off?

When you format, the permissions should be cleared. But if you are referring to the permissions button in Disk Utility, that is a different concept.

Would like to hear more,

Christian

Hello,

Can you please tell us a little bit about your setup? Is this a second hard drive, or your primary one? Any partitions? Any data on this drive that needs to be saved off?

When you format, the permissions should be cleared. But if you are referring to the permissions button in Disk Utility, that is a different concept.

Would like to hear more,

Christian

This is a secondary empty single partition drive. It passes the hardware tests, but if I try to write files to it, it hangs and I cannot instal the O/S system in it. I mentioned that the permissions repair option is not available when I run diskaid, because it the only abnormal thing evident.
Thanks

Hi,

Permissions repair only works (is enabled) for the System volume, where the OS X is installed. I have 3 different partitions on my computer, and permissions repair only shows up on the system volume.

So, you boot the computer with OS X install disks, and you tell it to install on the second drive, and it bombs out. Hmm.

I wonder what would happen if you would power down, remove the working hard drive, and place the second drive in the primary position. See if that would clear any weird error. Then, once that is stable, put your first drive into the computer in the slave position (I assume these are IDE), and then migrate your data files over.

I have yet to see OS X Disk Utility fail with a hard drive.

Christian

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.