Hi - I'm new to MACs. I have a dual G5 running panther and wish to upgrade to tiger so that I can finally run my Garmin device.

I got hold of a legal copy of tiger (for an imac) and on installing got the MACs version of the dreaded PC's "blue screen of death".

Reading the error messages say that the installing software couldnt find the device drivers for the G5 (presumably because the disc was for an iMAC)

Can I download any such drivers? and continue the installation?

Thanks in advance

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

> I got hold of a legal copy of tiger (for an imac)
Wait, so if this was for an iMac, then you're using it on more than one machine, right? That's not legal.

Best to go out and buy another copy of Tiger. Not only will it be legal, it'll work.

yes it is legal as the other mac has been decommissioned and not using the os anymore.

However does that mean that when I buy an off the shelf tiger it will have all the drivers and I dont have to buy one specific for a G5 powermac?

>yes it is legal as the other mac has been decommissioned and not using the os anymore.

I still don't think it's legal, it's similar to the Windows OEMs, in that you cannot legally use the copy of Windows that came with your machine, even if you were to uninstall it and trash the computer.

>However does that mean that when I buy an off the shelf tiger it will have all the drivers and I dont have to buy one specific for a G5 powermac?

Nope. When you buy one off the shelf, it's a generic one, as opposed to ones that come packaged with your Mac.

thanks
jimsplaz

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.