Ok, I got my hands on a Mac G3 and it has 9.2.2 (clean install) on it. I have the OS 10.4 install CDs (four of them) and want to upgrade.

Is there anyway of mounting the .dmg files inside OS 9.2.2 and installing rather than from boot? (similar to a 9.x upgrade)

- Also, does 10.4 also include a os9 install as default? or has that been fased out. I am still new to mac but figuring out things as I go.

Late,

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

No, OS X has to be installed while booting from the CDs, in your case.

Classic (as OS9 has been depricated to) is not installed as standard with Tiger. However, since you already have 9.2.2 installed on the Mac, OS X will be installed "over it" (it doesn't interfere with the 9.x install at all) and you can use your existing 9.x install as Classic. No need to reinstall Classic.

I have an IMAC and I have been having big problems with it. I had someone come look at it and now its worse. I now have os9 and OSx. When my computer starts it starts with OSx when it used to start with os9. I cannot log onto the Internet or change any of my settings. Someone please HELP!

hi there can n e 1 help me pls, i have an mac book 10.4.8 and my son has completely locked me out f it and now its askine me 4 a admin passwrd, and i dnt no it, or what i can do 2 get it off!!! it was a gift frm my brther who had all this set up 4 me and has recently passed away!!! as u can imagine i dnt wnt 2 get rid of it 4 personal reasons and been advised that i need a OS X START UP DISC but im not a comp techy, an dnt no where 2 start can n e 1 pls , pls, pls help me! id be vry greatful.....

>hi there can n e 1 help me pls
Probably. But if you want a better chance of people actually replying, you may want to read the first paragraph of this:
http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/faq.php?faq=daniweb_policies#faq_keep_it_clean

>i have an mac book 10.4.8 and my son has completely locked me out f it and now its askine me 4 a admin passwrd
The only way to fix this is to have your OS X installation disk. (Well, there are some horrible ways to do it without the startup disc, but since you're a non-techie, I won't suggest it.)

>what i can do 2 get it off
Reset the administrator password. Once you've found your OS X installation disc, the rest is easy.

1. Start up your MacBook, and once it's finished booting, insert the DVD
  2. Reboot the Mac
  3. Immediately hold down the 'C' key until you reach the installation screen
  4. Select a language, and then from the "Utilities" menu, choose "Reset Password..."
  5. Type in a new one
  6. Reboot the Mac again, and then you're all set

Funny how that post seems more likely to be the son locked out by his Mom than the other way around.

>Funny how that post seems more likely to be the son locked out by his Mom than the other way around.
I was so sleepy last night I wasn't thinking very clearly... now that you mention it, I was pondering why a mom would have such bad writing. Crap.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.