Hi,

Anyone out there to rescue me??? :)

I am working with my new MacBook and suppose that nothing is compatible with OX Tiger.

I cannot find a driver so that I can use my scanner which is an Epson Perfection 2450 and I also have $500 worth of software that doesnt want to be installed with Tiger.
Such as Adobe Photoshop 6, the graphics suite from a couple of years ago.

I figure I probably am going to have to upgrade the software.......true?

If anyone out there has any ideas or suggestions please let me know. As far as the scanner, went to the Epson website and it said there were no drivers that it probably was on the disk, however it wont allow me to install as it says it does not work with Tiger.........uhhhhhhhhh!

HELP PLEASE!!!! Thanks
Kyhana

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I assume you are talking about apps that are written for PowerPC Macs. You can run (most) PowerPC applications with Rosetta, a built in technology that ships with Mac OS X. For a list of compatible applications, visit this page:

http://www.macintouch.com/imacintel/rosettacompat.html

However, running PowerPC apps with Rosetta will result in performance loss. In many cases, the developer will release a free update that brings Intel comaptibility. Some others require a small fee. And some don't even have an update, and you will have to wait until the next version before you can get an Intel app of a particular program (Microsoft Office is an example).

EDIT: For a list of apps that can run natively (Universal Binaries), see here:
http://guides.macrumors.com/List_of_Universal_Binaries

If your app isn't listed, you can check the status of an app by selecting the app, choosing Get Info from the file menu, and then under "Type" it should list either "PowerPC" or "Universal Binary".

As for the MacBook, you lucky dog! I ordered mine yesterday. :)

Hello,

I love my MacBook too!

You won't be able to run Classic applications on it, nor will Classic / OS9 programs work with it. If you have such programs, go get your older computer, optimize it for using the old programs, and perhaps use a remote-control utility and bury the computer in a back room somewhere without a monitor.

I have also checked performance of Rosetta vs. Universal, and while I don't have hard numbers, I have to say that Rosetta does a good job. It is not anything as clunky as running Virtual PC / SoftAT back in the day when a worthy G3 struggled with Windows 2K. Rosetta does a nice job. The only place I really notice the slowdown is running PPC OpenOffice instead of the Intel-based OpenOffice.

Christian

Hi,

Anyone out there to rescue me??? :)

I am working with my new MacBook and suppose that nothing is compatible with OX Tiger.

I cannot find a driver so that I can use my scanner which is an Epson Perfection 2450 and I also have $500 worth of software that doesnt want to be installed with Tiger.
Such as Adobe Photoshop 6, the graphics suite from a couple of years ago.

I figure I probably am going to have to upgrade the software.......true?

If anyone out there has any ideas or suggestions please let me know. As far as the scanner, went to the Epson website and it said there were no drivers that it probably was on the disk, however it wont allow me to install as it says it does not work with Tiger.........uhhhhhhhhh!

HELP PLEASE!!!! Thanks
Kyhana

I think the problem is the MacBook not the Tiger. Up until now, Mac software has been designed to run on a Power PC chip. The MacBook uses the new Intel duocore chip. You need software designed for that chip to run on the machine properly. A lot of software is currently available in Universal format to work with both chips. Some of the old software will run under Rosetta on the MacBook, but it is a RAM hog... say 2 gb to work decently, and results vary.

For graphics, the GIMP is available ported from linux, and GraphicConverter (downloadable from Apple's site or Lemkesoft). Going to the linux side, I have found printer drivers and gotten them to work with my Macs, and you may be able to find a scanner driver that way, but no promises!

FYI, I went through this sort of thing when Apple went from the 68K Motorola chip to the Power PC. I figure I'll wait another year to switch over! Life is easier that way. But you still have a machine I would love to have!!

Carl

i would have thought that you could just 'plug 'n play' with the printer?

i would have thought that you could just 'plug 'n play' with the printer?

Generally, yes. But not when it is a scsi dye sublimation printer circa 1995. Old but sweet.

It finally succumbed to improved ink jet quality; but FreeGeek was happy to take it off my hands and find it a home!

Carl

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.