Just got a new IMAC PowerPC G5 running OS 10.4 Tiger. In order to run all of our old applications, we are running OS 9 Classic.

Some friends have told us to be wary of doing this. Warned of losing files and other generic warnings.

Have there been problems with running old apps on OS 9 Classic or are our friends repeating unsubstantiated rumors.

Just got a new IMAC PowerPC G5 running OS 10.4 Tiger. In order to run all of our old applications, we are running OS 9 Classic.

Some friends have told us to be wary of doing this. Warned of losing files and other generic warnings.

Bah, that's not much to worry about. Classic is actually just a virtual machine emulating OS 9; if you enable the startup screen on Classic, you can even see the little icons (extensions) as OS 9 starts.

For me, it's worked very well for me on my iMac G5. A slight problem with some programs was that OS 9's color depth had to be adjusted in order to run some applications. So keep that in mind if you see all-white windows that pop up. Sometimes I was unable to run programs because they needed such low color depths that they weren't supported on Classic. :rolleyes: But you shouldn't have much to worry about, since you're probably not running games.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.