everytime i turn on my mac it tells me that i need to restart it before it even starts. I tries resetting the power thingie and the PRAM and still nothing. Any ideas?

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Hello,

OS 9 or OS X?

Have you tried booting from the CD? If the CD works fine, then I would suggest that the problem is in the hard drive's version of the system software. Do you remember what triggered the restart event (I crashed using word, and restarted, and it is now not starting properly).

You can also try holding down the shift key under OS 9 and that will prevent any extensions from loading. That will give you a "safe mode" on the Mac from where to start troubleshooting.

We need to know...
* OS Version
* Trigger event
* Boots off CD?

Thanks!

Christian

I have the same problem.

OS X
MAC Powerbook G4

reset pram - nothing
boot up w/o extensions - nothing
boot up w/ CD - nothing
boot up w/ command + V - I get to a section where it says
"INIT_Processeses(). could not establish the default connection to the windowServer packet filtering initialized, divert enavled, ruile0based fowarding enabled, default ot accept, logging disabled

Then It just loops
"could not establish the default connection to the windowServer.INIT_Processeses()"
and it never ends or boots up.

Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank you :eek:

Hello,

I am really out of territory here -- I have not seen this problem before, and as I do not have anything G4 related yet, cannot "try this at home".

Ok, it is OS X that we are talking about here, and according to BDeetz, he is not able to get it to go with the CD-ROM either. This hints to a problem with the BIOS/Firmware. Take a look at

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75132 where it talks about Powerbook Firmware Update 4.1.8. But that software is 2001 vintage. Dunno. Also look at artnum=60351 where it talks about how to get the Firmware version.

Also -- did you guys install anything recently? Just started happening? Any system updates or new programs?

Are you booting the laptop with anything attached (USB camera / Scanner / Firewire stuff)? If so, can you disconnect everything? What happens when you do.

Did you make a resolution change in your control panel? Drive the monitor out of range?

DANGEROUS: You can also try booting into text only mode if you enter Open Firmware. Use directions on Apple's pages. Then see if you can get into /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist Delete that file. Reboot and see if that helps.

If you are able to get into text only mode, you might first want to go get your data off the hard drive.

Do keep us informed; I want to see this one though. Unique for me.

Christian

I finally broke down and took it to an authorized repairer. They said my users file was corrupted and thats why it wouldn't boot. They deleted the file I guess and Now it supposedly works(haven't picked it up yet).

I finally broke down and took it to an authorized repairer. They said my users file was corrupted and thats why it wouldn't boot. They deleted the file I guess and Now it supposedly works(haven't picked it up yet).

I'm experienceing the same exact issue. Any more insight...as I cant afford to to take my comp to a repair shop :(

Hello,

I am really out of territory here -- I have not seen this problem before, and as I do not have anything G4 related yet, cannot "try this at home".

Ok, it is OS X that we are talking about here, and according to BDeetz, he is not able to get it to go with the CD-ROM either. This hints to a problem with the BIOS/Firmware. Take a look at

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75132 where it talks about Powerbook Firmware Update 4.1.8. But that software is 2001 vintage. Dunno. Also look at artnum=60351 where it talks about how to get the Firmware version.

Also -- did you guys install anything recently? Just started happening? Any system updates or new programs?

Are you booting the laptop with anything attached (USB camera / Scanner / Firewire stuff)? If so, can you disconnect everything? What happens when you do.

Did you make a resolution change in your control panel? Drive the monitor out of range?

DANGEROUS: You can also try booting into text only mode if you enter Open Firmware. Use directions on Apple's pages. Then see if you can get into /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist Delete that file. Reboot and see if that helps.

If you are able to get into text only mode, you might first want to go get your data off the hard drive.

Do keep us informed; I want to see this one though. Unique for me.

Christian

I found this thread while frantically searching google. I am experiencing the same issue..and I see at the bottom of the thread re: corrupted users file. Any advice on how to do what the repair guys did?

I have yet to follow what you posted above, due to the last post on the page about the user file.

Now what do you recommend? Thanks so much!

Now what do you recommend? Thanks so much!

I recommend posting your own thread. (I'm getting here before the mods ;0)) Sometimes two very simalar problems wind up having two distinctly different solutions, and it's best not to get the potential solutions intermixed.

Make sure you provide the model of the computer, OS, and what changes you have made recently (if it was working right before) as well as a description of the problem.

I'm experienceing the same exact issue. Any more insight...as I cant afford to to take my comp to a repair shop :(

The only thing he really said was that he logged into the root(which he recommended not doing because you can do a lot of damage) and deleted the user file, booted and created a new user. Thats all I remember because this is the first mac I have ever owned and didn't know a lot of what he was talking about. Sorry.

This doesn't ring true to me. I think there must have been some other problem. Even if all the files on the HD are corrupted and that is the only problem with your computer, then you should still be able to boot off the CD still. I like kc0arf's suggestion that it was something to do with the firmware and/or connected devices. Some of the repair CDs that the techs use may have fixed the firmware. He may just have not noticed it.

Ed

The only thing he really said was that he logged into the root(which he recommended not doing because you can do a lot of damage) and deleted the user file, booted and created a new user. Thats all I remember because this is the first mac I have ever owned and didn't know a lot of what he was talking about. Sorry.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.