Hey all, I got a few problems and have no where else to turn!

Yesterday I tried to startup Digital Performer 4 and got an error message saying that the MIDI was not working. Tried other softwares which use MIDI as well and got the same message. I'm pretty sure the problem resides with Panther 10.3.4 but I have no idea how to fix it! Tried repairing permissions for the CD, Techtools and Antivirus ... nothing!

Also, Disk Utilities and the Mac OS X Installer don't work. the Installer jumps in the dock but then stalls. Disk Utilities won't even start! (and these two problems pretty much since the 10.3.3 update)

Can anyone help?!?!?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Hello,

Did these programs work properly before 10.3.4? When did you do the upgrade? I am wondering if things were just fine with 10.3.3 or not.

Also, do you keep backups? Are you in a position that you could go back to 10.3.3?

What kind of Mac are you running? Powerbook? G4? We might need to look at your console logs too.

Christian

Did these programs work properly before 10.3.4? When did you do the upgrade? I am wondering if things were just fine with 10.3.3 or not.

Yes, the MIDI worked fine until now, but I lost the Disk Utilities and the Installer appz since 10.3.3

Also, do you keep backups? Are you in a position that you could go back to 10.3.3?

I do keep backups of my projects and applications, but the MIDI problem seems to be at the root of MIDI management within OS X (?). As for the Disk Utilities, I have been able to repair permissions from the installer disks.

What kind of Mac are you running? Powerbook? G4? We might need to look at your console logs too.

I'm running a G5 1.8 single with Panther 10.3.5 (updated about 1 hour ago)
Since the 10.3.5 update, I have regain use of the Installer app, but not the Disk Utilities. The update did not correct the MIDI issue either.

thanx for your reply Christian, hoping someone can help me before I diskimage the whole drive and reinstall 10.3.1!

Ken

Hey,

I have been having the same problems with Digital Performer. I attempt to start it up and it says the MIDI system has crashed. Also my Audio/MIDI Setup Utility constantly crashes for whatever reasons, even after just having the Dual 1.25 processor replaced under warranty. I have attempted repairing the permissions and repairing the disk and nothing seems to help. It began happening when I was using a Motu USB Fastlane and a Motu 828. I am also estranged to what the problem could be.

Tim

Hey Ken,

I just goofed around a bit thinking up solutions for what could be the problem, and was able to solve mine for the time being. I believe the solution lies in what interfaces you are using and the drivers that are installed. I removed the drivers for my USB Fastlane as well as the drivers for my Bitheadz Unity Session software (which I might add is one of the most horrible pieces of software to hit the market), and Digital Performer was able to open and my Audio/Midi Setup opened as well. In about a week and a half I'm upgrading to a Motu 828 MkII and using the Garritan Personal Orchestra and EastWest Silver Symphonic Library for work, so I'll check back in on here and keep you posted on how it's going.

Tim

Hello,

Could you please document how you removed the MIDI drivers, so that other people with similar equipment can follow along. I don't have any MIDI stuff, so would not have a handy reference to learn from your esxperience.

Christian

Hey guys,

If you go into the Audio folder located in your Library folder, you will see a few different folders. Typically, if things are not functioning correctly, it is within the "MIDI Drivers" folder that you need to check. Depending on the case scenario there may be drivers in there for things not being used, or not registered/authorized, or if it is an incredibly old program that does not work through Digital Performer. If the program is not being used with a Audio/MIDI application like Performer, the best thing to try first is deleting those drivers. If that does not work just send me an email at adamkeenan@hotmail.com with the subject "Audio/MIDI Problems" and let me know what's up. Good luck to you all! -Tim

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.