With OS X, I use the Sherlock app to look up local movie listings. However, what I recently noticed was that my OS X no longer displays the movie trailers. Just a blank square appears and when I click the play button, nothing happens.

Does anyone know what codec is required for this? I have registered versions of Quick Time Pro and DivX Pro installed.

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Haven't got a clue :eek: , but if it makes you feel better, I just tried using Sherlock for that same function and mine just shows a blank gray square and the play button doesn't do anything also. :cheesy:

-Jeff

Can you tell me which listings you're looking at? The trailers seems to work for all the movies I look up.

Ed

Or really I should be asking who is providing the movie content for you?
In my Sherlock it says "Content provided by Moviefone". Can you view the trailers on Moviefone?

For me it says video/quicktime for the Aliens v Predator trailer.... hmm... maybe the site was just having technical difficulties when you had the problem.

Ed

Hello,

I have not joined the Sherlock bandwagon... been mainly searching with Google, and when I want to lookup movies, there is a home-grown website here in Wisconsin that shows all of the listings.

I'll have to try this at home.

Christian

I don't normally use sherlock to find movie listings. What's nice about sherlock is that it is integrated with your address book. So I can easily switch between looking at theaters theaters near "Ed - home" or "Ed - work"

Ed

Hello,

I have not joined the Sherlock bandwagon... been mainly searching with Google, and when I want to lookup movies, there is a home-grown website here in Wisconsin that shows all of the listings.

I'll have to try this at home.

Christian

Hello,

Ah. I keep my addresses in the Palm Desktop, and in Eudora, and since they work for me there, never ported them into Apple's software that comes with OS X. I have pretty much removed them from the toolbar, and use what I use. I find Eudora to be a great email program, and the Palm is wonderful desktop calendaring. It should be -- Palm Desktop was purchased from Claris when it was called Claris Organizer.

Christian

This functionality was indeed broken somewhere along the way.
It's broken in both Panther and Jaguar.

just a sidebar here guys.. maybe the application isnt really broken.. I often
find that applications that work on one machine or at one location do not work at
all on other machines and locations. The natural culprit in the past has
been the OS or the patch level of the machine and upgrading was generally found
to be the best method of resoloution. However, in the past year or so, dealing
with things like software firewalls in conjunction with hardware firewalls I find a
new application almost daily that appears to be broken when in actuality it isn't.
This is due to a connection failure of some kind. Usually caused by ramped up
security like nortons or the like. Outgoing mail.. ssl.. sftp ftp.. all of it. Especially
when a secure method is used to connect on the outbound side. Routers are
just as capable of being culprits of connection faliure but I find that to be more
of a manual connection problem. Nevertheless, The only resoloution seems to be
beefing up the hardware firewall and disabling the software firewall altogether or
at least outbound services....

just a sidebar here guys.. maybe the application isnt really broken..

Well, in testing it from multiple locations and reading similar threads on other Forums, I'm leaning towards "broken" app.

I think I know what might help. Try going into [preferences] once you're in app. Sherlock - then go to [show cookies]. Next, click on any cookie, then click on [remove all]. Then, quit the application Sherlock and re-open it again and go to movies. The movie previews should work.

Peace,
Joe

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.