When I turn on my computer My Documents opens and I dont know how to fix it. Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Which version of Windows have you?

you have got explorer.exe as your startup item. Delete it.

go to your start button, and go to run, type in msconfig. After doing that, if you go to the "Startup" tab, go in there and see if you have something loading that you don't want..aka my documents. so delete the explorer.exe in there, and you should be all fixed. If you want to even speed up your computer a bit you can pick and choose in there what you want to start up :). Hope it helps!

Im using wondows XP. I tried going into msconfig but I couldn't find explorer.exe. This problem is very recent and has never happened before.

Thanks

Im using wondows XP. I tried going into msconfig but I couldn't find explorer.exe. This problem is very recent and has never happened before.

Thanks

The reason for this is that My Documents folder is in your startup that’s why it’s opening at startup. But this startup is a special type of startup which is initiated by userinit process.

How to fix this:
To fix the problem of My Documents Folder opening at Windows startup, just follow the steps below:

Go to Start –> Run –> Regedit
Find the following key:
HKEY_ LOCAL_ MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Win­dows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
On the right hand pane, find Userinit and double click it to edit its value. Its value should be something like this (depending on your Windows Installation Directory):
c:\windows\system32\userinit.exe,userinit.exe

change it to c:\windows\system32\userinit.exe
Restart your computer and the problem should be solved

when start the pc with os windows 2003 enterprises server my documents folder open but desktop and status bar not displayed

1. Go to run
2. type in msconfig
3. click on the startup Tab
4. unclick the programs you dont want to run
5. Done :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.