I run xp and have a folder called 599330ad54d43e2b8231 and i am not sure where it came from, in the folder there is a text document called %temp%dd_msxml_retMSI.txt in this doc there are things like:

=== Logging started: 11/29/2007 0:49:40 ===
Action start 0:49:40: INSTALL.
Action start 0:49:40: LaunchConditions.
Action ended 0:49:40: LaunchConditions. Return value 1.
Action start 0:49:40: FindRelatedProducts.
Action ended 0:49:40: FindRelatedProducts. Return value 1.
Action start 0:49:40: IsPendingRebootKey.
PendingFileRenameOperations contains:
\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\usmt\SET6D.tmp~!\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\usmt\sysmod.dll~\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\usmt\SET6E.tmp~!\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\usmt\script.dll~\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\usmt\SET6F.tmp~!\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\usmt\migwiz.exe~\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\usmt\SET70.tmp~!\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\usmt\migload.exe~\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\usmt\SET71.tmp~!\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\usmt\migism.dll~\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\usmt\SET72.tmp~!\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\usmt\log.dll~\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\usmt\SET73.tmp~!\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\usmt\iconlib.dll~\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\usmt\SET74.tmp~!\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\usmt\guitrn.dll~\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\SETFF.tmp~!\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\pnrpnsp.dll~\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\SET100.tmp~!\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\p2psvc.dll~\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\SET101.tmp~!\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\p2pnetsh.dll~\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\SET102.tmp~!\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\p2pgraph.dll~\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\SET103.tmp~!\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\p2pgasvc.dll~\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\SET104.tmp~!\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\p2p.dll~
No file in package listed in PendingFileRenameOperations
Action ended 0:49:41: IsPendingRebootKey. Return value 1.

*Does anyone have any idea what this folder and text doc is and if i need to keep it?
Thank you and appreciate any help on this.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

The date and time of the folder's creation should correspond with the date when your installation was set up.

Does that check out? The folder is put there when you start crerating users on an otherwise default or OEM system.

Harmless and can be deleted.

it is within about 7 days difference of the install date, does that sound right? I found an install date if nov22 and the folder was made on nov 29

That is likely to be the date of a Windows update. Every PC I've got has a very similar file to the one you described.

I run xp and have a folder called 599330ad54d43e2b8231 and i am not sure where it came from, in the folder there is a text document called %temp%dd_msxml_retMSI.txt in this doc there are things like:

=== Logging started: 11/29/2007 0:49:40 ===
Action start 0:49:40: INSTALL.
Action start 0:49:40: LaunchConditions.
Action ended 0:49:40: LaunchConditions. Return value 1.
Action start 0:49:40: FindRelatedProducts.
Action ended 0:49:40: FindRelatedProducts. Return value 1.
Action start 0:49:40: IsPendingRebootKey.
PendingFileRenameOperations contains:
\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\usmt\SET6D.tmp~!\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\usmt\sysmod.dll~\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\usmt\SET6E.tmp~!\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\usmt\script.dll~\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\usmt\SET6F.tmp~!\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\usmt\migwiz.exe~\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\usmt\SET70.tmp~!\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\usmt\migload.exe~\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\usmt\SET71.tmp~!\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\usmt\migism.dll~\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\usmt\SET72.tmp~!\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\usmt\log.dll~\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\usmt\SET73.tmp~!\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\usmt\iconlib.dll~\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\usmt\SET74.tmp~!\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\usmt\guitrn.dll~\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\SETFF.tmp~!\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\pnrpnsp.dll~\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\SET100.tmp~!\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\p2psvc.dll~\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\SET101.tmp~!\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\p2pnetsh.dll~\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\SET102.tmp~!\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\p2pgraph.dll~\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\SET103.tmp~!\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\p2pgasvc.dll~\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\SET104.tmp~!\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\p2p.dll~
No file in package listed in PendingFileRenameOperations
Action ended 0:49:41: IsPendingRebootKey. Return value 1.

*Does anyone have any idea what this folder and text doc is and if i need to keep it?
Thank you and appreciate any help on this.

The Windows System32 USMT (User State Migration Tool) folder. This folder contains files to support both USMT and the File and Settings Transfer Wizard. Both tools enable user files and settings to be copied to another PC. You can use this application to transfer files and setting for Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, desktop, display, dial up and other settings via direct cable or network connections. The folder you have hanging around is from an MS Update.

You can download and run Microsoft Baseline Analyzer http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/tools/mbsahome.mspx to validate the installation of Microsoft updates. This no doubt is a residual folder that should have been deleted after the install of one of the many updates that have been associated with USMT. I believe you can safely delete the folder.

Other folders that have this type of system generated name may have a file named something like msxml4-KB927978-enu.log - this also is a residual folder left around from the installation of MS HotFix KB92978 (MSXML Parser) installation. In any case the log file will contain the name of the HotFix (KBxxxxx) that is being applied.

thank you for all the help i think i will just leave it since it isnt hurting anything either way.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.