Trying to delete d:\windows\gzip32.exe (my vista installation) but can't, nor can I rename it. If I copy it I can't delete the copies either no matter where I put them. I now have three other copies that I can't delete.

Anyone know a solution to this:

Things I have tried and failed to resolve the problem,

• Reboot
  • Reboot into Safe Mode
  • Reboot with XP Pro
  • Empty recycle bin
  • View properties, the file is not hidden or read-only
  • View task manager. It doesn't seem to be an orphan process or application.

Any other ideas ?

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

I had a similar problem... The way it worked for me was to cut it from its folder and paste it into the recycle bin, but that doesn't sound like it will help you. Hm.

Does it give you an error message?

Maybe if you went into safe mode you could take ownership of the files in question? This helped me once on my XP machine.

Post back and I'll help you further- I'm stumped right now!

Good luck,

--The Comodore

>>cut it from its folder and paste it into the recycle bin
Didn't work. Here is the error message

Its strange that Safe Mode doesn't help then. Did you try taking ownership?

Another thing you can do is use a BartPE or Ulitmate Boot CD (do you have one?) so that none of your hard drive's files will be in use by anything- these things are their own operating systems on a CD.

I recommend the UBCD: www.ubcd4win.com The site is very helpful in creating one if you don't have one, but post back with questions!

Once you create the disk, boot off of it, look near the bottom for a windows explorer-like option (its next to the "start" button), find the files in question, and try to delete them.

Good luck,

--The Comodore

>>Its strange that Safe Mode doesn't help then. Did you try taking ownership?
Vista doesn't permit changing ownership of individual files. And I tried to remove the read-only flag from the directory d:\windows, it went through all the motions but didn't work.

>> recommend the UBCD
I downloaded and installed the file ok. But it doesn't support Viata (yet anyway) and XP Pro install CD must contain SP1 or better, mine doesn't. So I can't use that either.

Thanks for all those suggestions anyway.

do a search for the file, if is shows up in another directory other than what you are tying to delete delete the other first, look if it is runnig as a process/service. stop it and try to delete disable User access control on the pc then try to deleted

happened to me once. I easily deleted the file using dos commands from cmd

commented: It worked! Thanks a bunch :) +21

Strange, I created my UBCD on vista? You have to run it as an administrator (by right clicking). As for not having SP1 or better, I think the website has some help for that under "Slipstreaming", where you can take care of that.

Here it is: http://ubcd4win.com/slipstream.htm

Its good to have a UBCD on hand anyways- its pretty much an all-purpose tool, and is very useful against malware and viruses.

These other suggestions sound good, so if they don't work, please post back.

Hope everything turns out alright,

--The Comodore

commented: Thanks for link to ubcd4win +21

happened to me once. I easily deleted the file using dos commands from cmd

Such a simple solution -- now why didn't I think of that :) It worked. Thanks

I finally finished creating the UBCD4Win bootable DVD. Thanks for pointing me to that site. I booted up with it and it appears to have a lot of useful utilities that help with windows problems.

No problem! It is used mostly for Virus/malware issues and unbootable computers, but it has many diagnostic features and such. Plus, the disk itself (on the menu you get when you first boot off of it) has a bunch of extras- Derek's Boot N' Nuke (to wipe a hard drive clean), Memtest86, and windows XP's recovery console- among others.

I'm using the CD right now, in fact, because I'm having a similar problem to you- I can't delete files and folders on my D: drive. Its odd. If I can't get it to work, I'll post about it. :p

All the best,

--The Comodore

Such a simple solution -- now why didn't I think of that :) It worked. Thanks

glad I could help :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.