Hello all!

Don't be fooled by the cheer... I have a major problem that I hoped would resolve itself and it isn't. The colors on my laptop (all colors, whether online, offline, watching videos, playing games- everything) are severely screwed up, to put it mildly. The most marked of these is black (any instance of black) is now a bright red. Shades of brown are also now varying shades of red, dark blues are now bright pink, and standard greens are yellow.

I'm running Windows Vista on a Toshiba laptop. I thought maybe it was overheating or something akin to that, and I have it on a Lapinator now (check ThinkGeek if you don't know what it is), and nothing's happened. It started doing this around Thanksgiving, but resolved itself about two weeks later. A little after Christmas it happened again, and it remains messed up right now.

Any help at all would be lovely. This laptop is new (got it for school) and I can't think of what it might be.

Thanks,
Student from Abilene

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

My first thought would be to uninstall the video adapter and reinstall it.
Have you tried system restore?
Do you have any color profiles installed?
Does this occur in Safe Mode?
What's the model number?

My first thought would be to uninstall the video adapter and reinstall it.
Have you tried system restore?
Do you have any color profiles installed?
Does this occur in Safe Mode?
What's the model number?

1. Done both, nothing happened. It was my first reaction, too.
2. I don't know if we're thinking of the same system restore... I opened up the settings when first starting up my laptop and restored all defaults (to no avail).
3. Nope. Not a one.
4. Yes, it's the exact same problem in safe mode.
5. Toshiba Satellite A135-S2386.

Thank you so much for being willing to help.

Check support at Toshiba and you'll see they're offering a new video driver.
You should have a troubleshooting utility provided by Toshiba that will run a check on the video card Programs/Toshiba Utilities. I'd run the full system check while I was there. There's a hardware setup in there also. Check and see what it says about the video card.
System Restore is on the Application menu-might be different if you have Vista. No data loss, but programs installed after the restore date will be lost.

Is all this off the Toshiba website or do I need to send in my laptop (please, please say it's the first. Spring semester begins in a week)?

The utility should be on your laptop already. The manual says it's included. If not, it may be on a CD that came with.
The driver is at the web site. I'd have included the URL, but it's one of those way long ones.
Just got to Toshiba dot com and do a search on your model number.

Were you able to fix the issue?

Hello all!

Don't be fooled by the cheer... I have a major problem that I hoped would resolve itself and it isn't. The colors on my laptop (all colors, whether online, offline, watching videos, playing games- everything) are severely screwed up, to put it mildly. The most marked of these is black (any instance of black) is now a bright red. Shades of brown are also now varying shades of red, dark blues are now bright pink, and standard greens are yellow.

I'm running Windows Vista on a Toshiba laptop. I thought maybe it was overheating or something akin to that, and I have it on a Lapinator now (check ThinkGeek if you don't know what it is), and nothing's happened. It started doing this around Thanksgiving, but resolved itself about two weeks later. A little after Christmas it happened again, and it remains messed up right now.

Any help at all would be lovely. This laptop is new (got it for school) and I can't think of what it might be.

Thanks,
Student from Abilene

my toshiba laptop after it not turning on from spilt juice i sent it to toshiba they said they couldn't fix it cause it is a mother board problem so they sent it back to me.Then my boyfriend checked it out and took everything apart and put it back together now it turns on and works,but there is no color on anything everything is just like blue or black and white is there any way to fix this problem?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.