Member Avatar for Rezert

I have 7 usb ports on my computer. They used to all show up in My Computer but now they didn't. This was right after I started having lots of problems with my firefox, speed, etc. So I got some help in the Nasties but a lot of stuff still wasn't fixed. So I reset my PC with some discs I have. I still don't see the ports. When I plug things in I still don't see them. When I downloaded TweekUI all the ports got a picture of a drive with a question mark on it. Please help. (Windows XP SP2)

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

check device manager to see if the usb controllers are installed . type into run -- compmgmt.msc
device manager in the left pane ,usb controllers at the bottom of the list

Member Avatar for Rezert

I see 3 "USB Root Hub" 2 "Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller" and 1 "Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller". They are all enabled. Yet it seems as if TweekUI didn't find any.

I see 3 "USB Root Hub" 2 "Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller" and 1 "Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller". They are all enabled. Yet it seems as if TweekUI didn't find any.

when you plug a usb device like a thumbdrive or printer or keyboard do they work ,as its not normal for all usb ports to show in mycomputer as drives ,unless a storage device like a thumbdrive or external harddrive ,or a camera is plugged into one .

Member Avatar for Rezert

I used to see them in their without anything plugged in. I have an External Harddrive plugged in and it's not showing up.

I used to see them in their without anything plugged in. I have an External Harddrive plugged in and it's not showing up.

and also not working i assume .
try this suggestion from microsoft .
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925196

good luck

Member Avatar for Rezert

It says to delete the UpperFilters in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E980-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and LowerFilters in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

I found nothing in the first folder and only UpperFilters in the second. Thanks in advance.

Also, just for additional info, I plugged my video camera in and it says "Connected" on it's screen but the computer did nothing when I plugged it in.

did you remove the upper filters found ,from registry

Member Avatar for Rezert

i was afraid to cause it was in the wrong folder, i'll do that now.
restarting computer now.

Member Avatar for Rezert

I restarted, clicked My Computer and saw a partition was missing (it's a compaq recovery partition). Something popped up saying new hardware had installed and Windows needed to restart (huh?) So I restarted and it was back, nothing new happened, I unplugged and plugged in USB drives and nothing happens.

USB ports don't show in My Computer unless something is attached, so I'm guessing you have a card reader.
In Tweakui, look under My Computer/Drives and make sure additional drive letters are not hidden (They must be checked).

Member Avatar for Rezert

As I said earlier, they are all checked, but the have icons of drives with a question mark over it.

Member Avatar for Rezert

Sorry for raising from the dead, but this still isn't working...a more detailed thing about what's going on:

K, so one day I was using my webcam, then all of a sudden it was like "Sorry, this is in use by another program.", so I went to bed, woke up the next morning, my pc was going slow as hell (it has 1GB RAM in it), won't come out of standby when it goes in, and the usb ports don't work. I just did a total rest of Windows XP and it's still not working. The only new stuff in it was some RAM and that worked for like a week before the PC broke...my dad went in, look at the hardware, pulled out the PCU and accidentally broke a pin, so we just replaced it and it still doesn't work. Please help!

-Rez

P.S. My usb mouse light will turn on at the COMPAQ screen but as soon as the windows loading screen comes up, my usbs stop working...

Member Avatar for Rezert

bump

Delete all the USB ports in Device Manager (Right-click, uninstall).
Reboot and they'll reinstall. Try them then.

Member Avatar for Rezert

Yes, I've tried that. It did not work. Thanks for the response though.

Sorry for raising from the dead, but this still isn't working...a more detailed thing about what's going on:

K, so one day I was using my webcam, then all of a sudden it was like "Sorry, this is in use by another program.", so I went to bed, woke up the next morning, my pc was going slow as hell (it has 1GB RAM in it), won't come out of standby when it goes in, and the usb ports don't work. I just did a total rest of Windows XP and it's still not working. The only new stuff in it was some RAM and that worked for like a week before the PC broke...my dad went in, look at the hardware, pulled out the PCU and accidentally broke a pin, so we just replaced it and it still doesn't work. Please help!

-Rez

P.S. My usb mouse light will turn on at the COMPAQ screen but as soon as the windows loading screen comes up, my usbs stop working...

this post is very confusing to me ,to say the least ,.you say your dad broke the processor and you replaced it and now its still doesn't work ,what still dosen't work the cpu or the usb device .maybe you got a bad mouse ,maybe you need to load correct usb drivers for the motherboard ,maybe you need to try a PS/2 mouse.
maybe you need to tell your dad to leave it alone and get him to take it to a computer repair shop.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.