Hi all, have vista HB installed here but I need to get SQL server up & running. Now I have read many articles that propose IIS7 cannot be installed on a Vista HB machine. Is there any way around this? I need IIS for SQL server to work. Many thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

Its not supported on Home Basic

You don't need IIS for SQL Server to work.

If you use Visual Web Developer 2005/2008 Express Edition, they have there own embedded IIS web server called WebDev.exe that runs automatically when you run your site in debug.

I have XP Home Basic and I installed Apache/PHP/MySql using xampp for windows for doing other web stuff.

commented: useful information, helpful poster +1

ok thanks for the response, so there is nothing extra I need to do for SQL to work when I debug via VS2005?

I thought lamp was Linux/Apache/Mysql/PHP is that right ?

Yes that's right. xampp is for Xp/Apache/MySql/Php I can't remember what the extra p is for, possibly PhpMyAdmin for administering MySql with a GUI.

ok thanks a lot for the information. I have used it breifly before, found it useful

You might also come to find that php is cooler than asp, and quite possibly never look back.

You might also come to find that php is cooler than asp, and quite possibly never look back.

I found the opposite, so you never can tell.

@OP: as mentioned, Visual Web Developer 2005 and 2008 have their own web server. It's not exactly the same as IIS, but you can use it to test and debug your web applications before deploying them to a web server.

I found the opposite, so you never can tell.

Well I supposed you're sort of expected to :P

Well I supposed you're sort of expected to :P

Actually, it was a bad experience writing a PHP website. I was sick of the language at the end, and then came across ASP.NET. Neither's perfect, certainly, but I find the model for ASP.NET easier to manage on a larger project.

thanks for all your responses, they were very helpful! cheers

no IIS on XP home either

I use abyss web server (the free edition) for ASP.NET, works well

ok thanks all

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.