Alright so I have a dell and i recently just wiped it clean and started over. The I loaded the server software and was using it as a temporary server. Then about 10 days later I went to go turn it on and the bios screen came up and that was working and then the xp screen with the flag and black screen came up ( XP LOADING SCREEN) the after it is done loading the screen just turned off. Now the computer was still working, and I know this because I am able to access the files on it through the network. Just the computer is not sending out video feed. So I restarted it several times hoping it was just a malfunction, but nothing. Then I went out and bought a new graphics card and tried it again, but nothing. I also tried 3 different monitors hoping it was that, but nothing. So now I am at a loss and I was wondering if anyone could help me.

2 other things I could think of-
1. mother board issue
2. programming issue with xp

is there anyway to also remotely taking over the computer with out having to give authorization?

Please anyone that could hep t would be greatly appreciated.!!

-Joe

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

jgiannini,
Was your original Video card onboard, built into the motherboard? If it was, did you disable it in the bios to boot to the new card?
If you enabled remote desktop you can RDP to the box. Start->Run->mstsc.exe /console. I just reread your post did you reload server 2003 or 2000 and it still displaying XP at boot?

AJZ

What server software did you download? What model of dell computer/is it a laptop? Did you try to boot in safe mode? Are you able to access bios? Have you tried to connect a projector or other monitor to see what happens. At system startup does it ask you what operating system to start, or did you even operate dual systems? If you can access files from the network, have you tried to remote in? Shoot over some more details, this exact thing happened to me a couple of months ago with my home pc turned server, and i was able to get it to work. Anyway, let me know.....

sound to me like the pc is running 2 operating system, and crashing when its supposed to load the GUI. did you format the drive before loading the new server app

Well...

I have tried different monitors and projectors
It is server 2003
it was re-formatted

Now the origional video card was onboard and I read somewhere that you need to change it in the bios so it sends the info to the new video card.

I can get into bios but I do not know where to go from there!
if someone was willing to walk me through that...
if someone was willing to walk me through the bios
or
if someone was willing to walk me through setting up Remote Desktop

either would help and be greatly appreciated

thanks,

joe

Well...

It is server 2003
it was re-formatted

Now the origional video card was onboard and I read somewhere that you need to change it in the bios so it sends the info to the new video card.

or

thanks,

joe

you need to know the ip address or compuer name to remote into it, if u cant see anything on ht escreen then it;s best you connect it to another working monitor and abse on what you are saying you had a PCI card but now the connection is on an ONboard VGA port if youa re certain that the PC is one and working connect the monitor to both port and see which one give a signal to the monitor.............although you should be able to get a signal from any one as long as non were disable in the bios.

Well if one was disabled in bios how do i enable it in bios because i believe that this is the problem.

you have to get into the bios by pressing F2 OR DEL OR WHATEVER THE STARTUP BIOS SCREEN SAY pRESS .............TO ENTER SETUP when you get in find the pci section and enable the pci slot the the monitor is attached to

It is server 2003
it was re-formatted

or

By default RDP (Remote Desktop) is disabled if you did not enable it that will be a dead end for you. Do you know the model number of your motherboard?

Here are the steps to enable RDP:
1. Rclick on My computer
2. Lclick on Remote
3. Check "Allow users to connect remotely to this computer"
4. You will also need an admin account on the box

Well ok so I have tried everything and I went to change the BIOS > Advanced> Video Configuration > PCI
but it did not have a choice of Video Configuration.
Any suggestions would help to make the computer read from the PCI Graphics Card
Thanks

"xp screen with the flag and black screen came up ( XP LOADING SCREEN)"

"programming issue with xp"

-Joe

"It is server 2003"

Jgiannini,
Are you able to boot into safe mode? I am guessing it was a type-o but I would like to be sure are you seeing XP Loading screen or windows 2003 server screen?

Alright I am now trying to upgrade my BIOS on My DELL Dimension from AOO to Anything else

I can not figure out how with out using xp and suggestions

at me be easier talking over the phone
let me know it you can help
thanks joe

PLEASE DONT UPGRASDE THE BIOS, if you can't figure it out thats a bad sign........go back in the bios and disable the onboard vga slot, and enable pci slot.

PLEASE DONT UPGRASDE THE BIOS, if you can't figure it out thats a bad sign........go back in the bios and disable the onboard vga slot, and enable pci slot.

I agree with Bobby failed BIOS upgrades can destroy your mobo.

AJZ

It looks like the other techs have given great advice on your next step.....try those and hit us back with your results!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.